Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Reading Glasses  (Read 571 times)

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
  • It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
Reading Glasses
« on: May 02, 2015, 05:43:17 PM »

I have probably pissed and cried about this before but now I think I have a better grip on this situation so I will share what is working for me. 

The backstory:  About a dozen years ago I began to notice difficulty with my eyes when reading a book or magazine.  My wife was born wearing glasses and tells me to go get my eyes checked and get glasses if I need them.  $500 bucks later I have my first set of reading glasses.  I think the prescription was about +1.25 both eyes...

About five years ago I am having eye trouble again but this time it is more than just while reading.  I go to have my eyes checked and the very first thing they do is take my blood pressure, tell me it is very high and I should go see my Dr. about this right away.  $500 bucks later I have my second & third set of reading glasses.  I got new lenses in the old frames along with a cheap pair for back-up just in case.  I think the prescription was about +1.50 both eyes...

If you know anything about this formula you probably think I am an idiot by now.  Well, I probably am an idiot but not for these reasons...

It turns out there is such a thing as 'male pattern sight degeneration' and I am following this pattern exactly as predicted for my age.

It also turns out high blood pressure will booger up your vision!  Who knew?  So guess what happened to me when I got my blood pressure under control?  Yep, $500 in prescription glasses are now no good.  I called out the Dr. at the vision care about his unethical practice of screwing me out of $500 when he knew I had high blood pressure and his answer was 'sosueme!'...

That was a few years ago - last year I began to figure out the rest of it.  Everything came together when I discovered 'cheater' lenses I can put inside my welding helmet as well as 'cheater' safety glasses with bifocal lenses built in at the bottom of the lenses.  I tried on several cheater safety glasses in the store and found a +1.75 power to be absolutely perfect. 

I did not want to go around wearing cheater safety glasses all the time so I started looking into off-the-shelf reading glasses.  This is when I found the 'male pattern vision degeneration' chart.  I also realized the +1.75 power lenses I got last year are just barely adequate nowadays.  This makes perfect sense with the vision degeneration chart - I might need to move up to +2.0 reading glasses.  So I went to the store and tried on a set of +2.0 and a set of +2.25 reading glasses.  The +2.0 is perfect.  Next I went shopping online for various styles of collapsible reading glasses.  I like glasses that will fold up really small because I will actually take them with me if they fit into a pocket.  For $40 I purchased three styles of micro-folding reading glasses and one pair of 'stick-on' bifocal lenses I can hide inside my sunglasses.  Of the three styles of micro-folding glasses I will soon figure out which I like the best and in the future that is what I will stick with.

$1,000 dollar lesson everyone, enjoy it and use it.
Keeping a list, and checking it twice, of those to visit during the 2nd American Revolution.

Who is Indrid Cold?

soot shooter

• Sergeant at Arms
  • SGT at Arms
    • View Profile
Re: Reading Glasses
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 07:55:42 AM »

9 years ago we were in Pa. with Mosby on vacation. Lori driving, a fork in the road. I could not see my atlas to figure out which way. I guessed the correct road and we stopped at the drug store for cheaters and some ammo. Yep old style store. that was 1.0+ I am now at 53 up to 1.5+. A buck or 2 a piece at the Dollar store.
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
 PGRNY9 RIDING IN MEMORY OF DAD USN AM CHARLES JENKINS
 RIDING WITH RESPECT

Kenny Solomon

• Political Analyst
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Israel Survival Updates
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 08:45:25 AM »

I gots me that thing called "CSS" - Can't See Shit.

Prescription glasses since I was a wascawwy yout.

Friends keep saying to me, get the Lasik thing.

Here's a hint:   Unless the word "NO !" is heavily involved, never use the following three words in the same sentence:   Laser ; Eye ; Surgery.

:p

"I'm ordering our bombers back to 'fail-safe'.  We might have to go through this thing after all." ..... Gen. Beringer, NORAD, Wargames 1983

soot shooter

• Sergeant at Arms
  • SGT at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 05:02:51 PM »

Generally with me if the word Dr. is in the sentence, "NO" is my answer. No good bastards. M.D. stands for Murdering D1ckheads!
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
 RIDING WITH RESPECT

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 05:07:55 PM »

Got another eye exam today - the whole enchilada. 

In the end the Dr. tells me there is no doubt I need reading glasses... however...  If it were her then instead of wasting $$ on prescription glasses she would just buy good quality cheaters and call it job done.  I need +1.75 in my good eye and +2.00 in my weak eye which isn't enough difference to justify prescription reading glasses.

So the prescription glasses I had been using while working at the computer will get donated to the Lions Club.

The prescription glasses I had been using for reading I will now use at the computer.

And for reading I will buy myself +1.75 cheaters with an option of going to +2.00 when needed (the time will come...)

I was in & out for only $60, just like my favorite cat house!  In another $20 I'll have my favorite Foster Grant readers and be all set for a while.

:cool:
Keeping a list, and checking it twice, of those to visit during the 2nd American Revolution.

Who is Indrid Cold?

soot shooter

• Sergeant at Arms
  • SGT at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 08:02:07 AM »

I can buy over a dozen pair for $20. And with the work I do that is a good thing. They get lost , end up under forklift tires etc.
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
 RIDING WITH RESPECT

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 12:51:25 PM »

I can buy over a dozen pair for $20. And with the work I do that is a good thing. They get lost , end up under forklift tires etc.
If I were that hard on my reading glasses then I would get those also.  But I have tried the Wally*World 3-pack of cheaters for $6 and most of them drive me nutz!  For just $10 ea. I get a pair of acceptable quality cheaters.  And for $20 I get Foster Grant "Foldable" that take up no more space than a Zippo which means I always have them with me. 

Who is Indrid Cold?

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 04:35:11 PM »

I wish I could get my glasses for anything close to the prices named here.
Seeing the world through a rose colored bombsight.

Who is John Galt?

Can't we all just get a long gun?

soot shooter

• Sergeant at Arms
  • SGT at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 07:29:53 AM »

You have prescription eyes that is the difference. Those are a $250 minnimun purchase around here with exceptional insurance. We don't need them thank god. Lori and I get away with the cheaters.
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
 RIDING WITH RESPECT

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 02:22:44 PM »

To make things worse, I don't have a very simple prescription.  They can't make lenses with much curve to them and still meet my Rx.  That means I can't get Rx safety or shooting glasses that wraparound like I'd like.   If I could, I could get one pair of glasses that would do everything I needed, and would make the cost easier to take.
Wah wah, boo hoo.
Seeing the world through a rose colored bombsight.

Who is John Galt?

Can't we all just get a long gun?

Jeff Army vet

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 03:17:20 PM »

I have strong prescriptions and get glasses for less than $35. http://www.zennioptical.com/  This is with many options.