Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 94

Author Topic: Ranting About Nothing Important  (Read 52313 times)

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
  • It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
Ranting About Nothing Important
« on: March 24, 2014, 09:26:20 PM »

I've been sick for three weeks with an upper respiratory infection.  I am two weeks into a three week dose of antibiotics that are kicking my ass three ways from Sunday.  Yesterday was a beautiful day so I tried to get out and walk around the ranch a little but after 200 yards I had enough and came in to set down for an hour to recover.  The antibiotics have devastated most of my intestinal bacteria so I am taking a pro-biotic dietary supplement to try to keep me from dehydrating out my ass.  I can't risk farting anyplace other than sitting on the toilet and my bung hole is burning like a glowing charcoal briquet.  And I still have a cough and sore throat...

:poop

I have to renew my driver's license within ten days.  I did my last renewal via mail so this time I have to show up in person for a new photograph.  I have been putting this off until I feel, and look, better but time is running out.  This morning I go online to find the closest office.  The closest one is only open on Wednesdays, so that is out.  The next closest office is open M - F, 8:30 - 5:30 - its an hour drive away.  I go there and they are closed on Mondays - NEW OFFICE HOURS!  A sign in the window says there is a new office in the next town.  I go there, 20 minutes up the highway, it is closed on Mondays also...

:bg

A couple years ago I jumped on a fantastic deal to get myself a very nice Ingersoll-Rand vertical air compressor for my shop.  I lined up an electrician to hook it up and do some other work in the shop but the ass-hat never showed up.  Six months later he calls back, as if it is just the next day, to set up another appointment - I told him to try breathing underwater.  So after procrastinating for way too long, this afternoon I start getting myself in order to install the air compressor myself.  I crack open the sealed plastic bag of papers package-taped to the compressor ... - ... everything is in Spanish!  However, there is an enclosed data disk and within it are PDF files in English.  It takes me a while but I figure out which file is the correct one for my compressor - there were about 18 to chose from.  I finally have all the installation and operation instructions I need to do the job - it has been two hours since I opened the plastic envelope that contained the paperwork.  I am now exhausted and I haven't done any physical work yet...

:bk

Why do I get out of bed?

:p
Keeping a list, and checking it twice, of those to visit during the 2nd American Revolution.

Who is Indrid Cold?

Aussie Bloke!

• Foreign Correspondent
  • Life Member: NRA SSAA
    • View Profile
Re: Ranting About Nothing Important
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 09:43:07 PM »

G'day everyone,....

Take electrolytes to boost your energy and help with dehydration and rest.

I hope you get over this soon.

Also hope you get the drives licence sorted.

Aussie.
A free man can walk with a rifle,...                                                                                                        
A Subjugated  man is esscorted by a rifle,...

Which are YOU?

I survived the Tyrany of a Traitor called Jack Boot Johny.

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 01:27:44 PM »

You can probably blame 1980s and 90s medical practices for the antibiotic ass kicking.  My wife worked in hospitals then and doctors had the habit of going for what she called "the elephant gun"- the meanest antibiotic- first.  No matter what the ailment, they'd skip over the starter (cheap) stuff and hammer it.  Naturally the bug(s) would develop residence to that, and everything weaker, so next time they HAD to give the newest elephant gun.  It drove her nuts. 
Why are you giving this? 
Because I always do/It's the best we have.

I guess because medicine is related to science, they follow the same all or nothing approach (new ice age coming/the planet is burning up or toughest antibiotics/austere medicine), so they started swinging back to the stepped approach of starting with the mildest drug.  Meanwhile, the bugs have evolved into monsters.
Hooray for us.  It seems to me it's a mix now: They start mild then when that fails they skip straight to hammering it.  And us.

Drivers License
Government offices suck.  Period.  I have to contact SocSec about my mom's stuff.  I dread it and plan on putting it off at least today.  I doubt that will cost any time.  What's a day to those people?

Air Compressor
Spanish?  Not six different languages including Spanish?
Damn, I guess that was the next step, wasn't it?
Seeing the world through a rose colored bombsight.

Who is John Galt?

Can't we all just get a long gun?

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 07:08:36 PM »

Yesterday I did nothing, twice.

Today I head out to get my driver's license renewed... aaa-gain.  This time I go to Newport instead of Colville.  The Newport office is only open one day a week, Wednesdays.  I know this because I verify the information through the WA gov. website.

Something did not look right about the location.  I thought I heard about the office moving across town but the website shows it still at the old location. 

So I go to the address and find a vacant office building...

After some poking around I find a small paper taped to a window with an address across town written on it.  I go to that location and find the driver's licensing office I am looking for.  AND THEY ARE OPEN!

Inside I find one lone employee and ask if I am in the correct place to get my driver's license renewed, she says 'yes'.  So then I ask if I can give her some feedback about the website that she might forward to the correct people, she says 'yes'.  So I tell her the website has the wrong information about office hours at the Colville location and the wrong address for the Newport location. 

She pulls up a website I have never seen before and checks the details which reveal all the correct information and hesitates to give me 'the look'.  Then she says to me I am about the tenth person recently to tell her the information is botched up so she thinks there must be something to it. 

So I ask her to follow my direction navigating on the Internet and she complies.  I walk her through, WA.gov -> licensing -> driver's licensing -> renewals -> in-person = and up pops a map showing all the offices in the State.  She clicks on the Newport location and up comes a pop-up with the wrong address.  Then she clicks on the Colville location and up comes a pop-up with the wrong office days & hours!

I looked up "Flabbergasted" and found her photo at the moment she seen the botched information.

$45 and a crappy photo later and I finally have my new driver's license...
Keeping a list, and checking it twice, of those to visit during the 2nd American Revolution.

Who is Indrid Cold?

Aussie Bloke!

• Foreign Correspondent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 02:22:09 AM »

G'day everyone,...

Congratulations on getting the drives licence sorted.

Aussie.

Which are YOU?

soot shooter

• Sergeant at Arms
  • SGT at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 07:11:51 PM »

I wish My drivers Lic. was only $45. Damn near $200. A 2 year reggie for our trucks are almost $200 each and Piggie is $42.75 a year.
 Then $36 each truck for safety / emmissions inspection. $6 for Piggies safety inspection. $245 for a year Piggie ins. and nearly a grand for each truck ins. too. Did I ever mentioned how I hate N.Y.?
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
 PGRNY9 RIDING IN MEMORY OF DAD USN AM CHARLES JENKINS
 RIDING WITH RESPECT

Aussie Bloke!

• Foreign Correspondent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 11:31:44 PM »

G'day everyone,...

I have 1 car
1 4x4
1 Bike

3 rego's + insurance = $2,000.00 pa.
All coming up in May.

Oh, And I just renewed my drivers licence, max term 10yrs.

Aussie.

Which are YOU?

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 06:05:52 PM »

Last night was the first one in nearly two weeks that I slept through the night.  I have been missing so much sleep that in the daytime I am nearly in a daze, forgetting simple things, etc. as evidenced by my psychotic posts I've made here at TASG.

Today, with renewed vigor and enthusiasm, I decided to get my vertical Ingersoll-Rand air compressor mounted and hard-wired.  Progress is moving along at an acceptable rate up until I need to drill into the concrete slab for the anchor bolts. 

My hammer drill is an 18 volt cordless DeWalt I've had for eight years.  This drill is practically an extension of my hand, I've had it rebuilt once already and the brushes replaced twice.  But yet again it is getting long in the tooth and in dire need of service/replacement. 

I mount the concrete hammer drill bit in the chuck and check it for center.  Then I attempt to rotate the torque ring around to the hammer drill position but it will not go.  I twist the ring back and forth many times.  I try it while spinning the drill forward and reverse.  I try this in each of the three speed ranges.  In my mind I had already given up and only a moment away from setting down the drill, but I was still engaged in the activity and this is when the drill sensed I was all finished with its little game and allowed the ring to rotate to the hammer drill position!

I have only occasion to use this hammer drill feature maybe a half dozen times.  But every time I was amazed at how quickly I could drill a hole in concrete.  I expect the same results today.  I begin to drill and yes the hammer feature is functioning.  But the drill bit only penetrates about 1/4" then progress slows to nil.  I look at the drill bit tip and it appears to be okay.  I read the drill bit packaging and it is indeed for use in a hammer drill.  So I continue the effort with little effect.  Who would have thought I could get exhausted holding down a drill to the floor? 

I move on to the other two holes I need to drill.  They seem to go just a little bit faster at first but after that initial 1/4" all progress grinds down to a near stop.  I blow out the dust from the holes and try again but this makes no difference.  So I decide to just hammer-on until I get the results I need.  After the drill consumed both its batteries I take a break to let them recharge which will take a couple hours.

And here I am...

Who is Indrid Cold?

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 07:54:36 PM »

I go back to attack those holes again but this time I use a pilot bit 3/16th" diameter.  The pilot bit sinks into the concrete like stabbing butter!  Now I chase the pilot holes with my final drill bit of 3/8th" and this time it follows through quickly all the way to the bottom of the pilot hole and stops dead.

Now I start knocking in the special concrete anchor bolts.  The first two easy to reach at the front sink deep and I tighten their nuts to lock them into place.  The third leg, at the rear, had to be shimmed about an inch to level the compressor, (the concrete around the perimeter of my shop slopes away).  Because of this that last lag bolt is not long enough!  I had to go back into town, catching the hardware store about one minute before they close, to get a longer lag bolt.

At least I got SOMETHING done today...

Who is Indrid Cold?

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 04:30:26 PM »

When I start a project, my wife asks how long I think it will take.  She says "humpf" and doubles my answer, at least, because of things like that biting me on the butt every time.

Who is John Galt?

soot shooter

• Sergeant at Arms
  • SGT at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 04:40:48 PM »

When I start a project, my wife asks how long I think it will take.  She says "humpf" and doubles my answer, at least, because of things like that biting me on the butt every time.
Mine just hopes it gets finished :rolleyes:
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
 RIDING WITH RESPECT

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 06:14:15 PM »

Well, there is that too.  Most get to "can use the room again" and not actually "finished".  Like how we are right now sitting on a mix of real furniture and deck furniture after my 8-month long floor tile job.

Who is John Galt?

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 07:45:34 PM »

I slept in then hauled a load to the waste transfer station and when I got home the Mugwump had breakfast ready.  So far, so good.   :cool:

Next I load up my shooting shit and drive up to the gun club.  Might as well have been an 16 hour flight because the weather up there was totally different than our dry weather here at the ranch - they had non-stop rain since last night!  No shooting today so I come home.   :poop

My neighbor calls to tell me he has photos of wolf tracks and asks if I want to come see the tracks.  I check the weather radar and it looks like all that rain to my north is moving south, so I pass on the invitation.  And the rain came soon after.   :p

Then I go back to the shop and get started wiring up the air compressor.  A while back at the waste transfer station I salvaged a half-dozen 4' long flexible electrical conduit pipes with threaded ends.  I dug up one and found it a perfect fit between the compressor wiring box and the shop power panel.  When we had the water main between the well and house replaced I also ran two sets of wires out to the well.  Both are rated for burying, one is 12ga for the 240 well pump and I saved the leftovers - this is what I am using for the compressor.   :f

After getting the compressor squared away I find I do not have the correct breakers to finish the job.  Oh well, delayed again.   :bk

So I take the opportunity to prepare the compressor for break-in, which involves running the compressor with the air valve open so it will not develop any pressure, for a half hour.  First I add oil to the compressor.  Then I open the air filter housing to make sure there is indeed an air filter inside.  There is an air filter inside and it is wrapped in tape!  The tape is perforated but none the less it is wrapped overlapping itself so that very few holes remain unobstructed.  I was about to peel off the tape but then noticed the filter appears crushed as if stepped on before it was installed.  I toss the filter and put on a new one that came with the service kit.

Just reminds me how true it is that the only one looking our for us is ourselves.   :bg

Who is Indrid Cold?

Josh in TX

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 02:01:27 AM »

Mine just hopes it gets finished :rolleyes:

Mine stopped asking.
"As He died to make men holy, let us die to make them free."

soot shooter

• Sergeant at Arms
  • SGT at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2014, 09:16:55 AM »

Nothing getting done this week end due to all the heavy rain. Need to put out food for the birds but it is really a waste of seed in this downpour.
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
 RIDING WITH RESPECT
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 94