Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16

Author Topic: Garage Sale Finds  (Read 9933 times)

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Garage Sale Finds
« Reply #210 on: May 25, 2017, 10:48:21 PM »

You might be able to see part of the back in the pic.   It has a boxed area that houses...something...structural.   I can only see into it from the front opening's narrow slit between the main plates.   Without shining a light in there yet, I can't tell much.    It's got at least part of a curved piece visible, but whether it's a snail/centrifugal catcher thing, or just a curved deflector, I don't know. 

It's still in the SUV, so I haven't given it a good look over.   It's heavy, so I didn't roll it around much, and I want to decide where I want it before I unload it.
Seeing the world through a rose colored bombsight.

Who is John Galt?

Can't we all just get a long gun?

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
  • It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #211 on: May 25, 2017, 10:51:04 PM »

You got half your money back in scrap metal with the trap alone!
Keeping a list, and checking it twice, of those to visit during the 2nd American Revolution.

Who is Indrid Cold?

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 25, 2017, 11:39:41 PM »

I wondered about that. 
Unless it's hidden and I haven't found it, I don't see a way to empty the bullet scraps other than shaking them out through the slit between the plates.   That might be a puzzle tougher than any you could buy at Cracker Barrel.   Perhaps when it's full, it will be scrap metal time.

Who is John Galt?

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #213 on: May 26, 2017, 12:19:50 AM »

Drill holes in the bottom.
Keeping a list, and checking it twice, of those to visit during the 2nd American Revolution.

Who is Indrid Cold?

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 26, 2017, 12:13:06 PM »

That may be the key.  Drill a hole then drop it on the turkey fryer.  Heat until it melts and runs out

Who is John Galt?

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 02, 2017, 07:59:15 PM »

The big National Road Garage Sale (Baltimore to St Louis) is this weekend.   We hit it today, and only made 27 stops, way down from usual. 

Today's scores:  Lawn Mower ($10), cast iron pot for melting lead over the turkey fryer ($15),  book: "Shotguns" by Elmer Kieth ($5), wooden ammo crate for .30 cal ammo in 8-Rd clips ($10), roll of barbed wire ($5), gloves to handle barbed wire ($2). 

Passed on the vintage sprint car for $2200.
Toured one house.
Played with four dogs.

The low number of stops was due to hauling the lawnmower in the SUV.  Gas fumes finally did us in.  I'm now nursing a hell of a headache. 

Who is John Galt?

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #216 on: June 02, 2017, 08:05:54 PM »

I call first dibs to borrow the "Shotguns" by Elmer Kieth book!

Who is Indrid Cold?

Lew

• Always Watching
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 03, 2017, 01:14:04 PM »

Today I scored big on the yardsale excursion. I brought home the following list of items:
  • Craftsman 12" Floor Bandsaw with tilt head and legs(Huge)
  • 8" Delta Bench grinder with light, (brand new)
  • Delta SA180 1" belt 8" disk sander
  • poulin chain saw
  • Homelite chain saw
  • Antique Hand Plane (RAZOR SHARP)
  • Generac 4k gasoline generator
  • 25' recovery strap
  • Milwaukee drill bit set with case
  • Heavy duty wire rack with 3 drawers

$205 and it all works.

Already cut wood on the bandsaw.
Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation, for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

"In God we Trust.  All others, we watch."

Kenny Solomon

• Political Analyst
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Israel Survival Updates
« Reply #218 on: June 03, 2017, 01:16:54 PM »

Whoa.    :cool:
"I'm ordering our bombers back to 'fail-safe'.  We might have to go through this thing after all." ..... Gen. Beringer, NORAD, Wargames 1983

soot shooter

• Sergeant at Arms
  • SGT at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 03, 2017, 01:40:00 PM »

Please put that plane on its side. Both my grand fathers are rolling in their graves with it like that.
 Damn you hit the jackpot today. All great finds if at true yard sale prices.
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
 PGRNY9 RIDING IN MEMORY OF DAD USN AM CHARLES JENKINS
 RIDING WITH RESPECT

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #220 on: June 03, 2017, 02:00:06 PM »

I have the same band saw - you will love it.  This is the ONLY tilt-head band saw in this size I am aware of.  Anything else will cost you $**,***!  There is a blade guide upgrade you might look into.  I forget what the OEM setup is, but I tossed it in favor of 'carbon' blocks - I can't remember exactly what they are made from.  Set it & forget it - 15 years later I don't even think about the blade guides because they just work.

That is the same generator I used since 2001 until recently when I sold mine to upgrade.  It'll out last a Soviet tractor or helicopter if you take care of it.  The only problem with mine is the main breaker got weak and began to trip at less than half it rating.  A replacement breaker cost $125!  I added my own sub-panel with a common breaker to bypass the OEM breaker.  Cost me about $40 for everything.

My friend has that exact model belt/disc sander.  Save your old 'worn out' sanding belts - he uses his old belts to hone the edge of his cutting tools and I have seen him shave the hair off his arm with his axe after it comes off the honing belt!

Who is Indrid Cold?

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 03, 2017, 03:27:30 PM »

Nice haul!   The generator will be a handy size, and that belt/disc sander will see a LOT of use if you're like me.

Who is John Galt?

Lew

• Always Watching
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 17, 2017, 06:11:39 PM »

So, I dig into the Generator and learn why I picked it up for $25 dollars.  The engine lost a valve spring retainer and the intake spring is wrapped around the rocker arm.

blurry photo, but you get the idea...

I look up the part and I can not buy just the retainer but I can get the entire valve kit.  2 new valves, 2 springs, 2 retainers, 4 clips, and 1 head gasket.  The only gasket not included was the valve cover gasket.  The cost on Amazon $34 with shipping.  It will be here Tuesday.

So while waiting for parts for the generator I look at the chainsaws.  I picked up 2 new ones this past weekend.  That makes 4 chainsaws for a total of $35.

I have a 1970's Homelite, has not run in 10 years.
I have a Poulan mini 8" bar, no idea, saw is complete.  I have not inspected it yet.
I have a Poulan 2075.  Missing Clutch cover, bar, bar nuts, chain.
I have a Poulan P4018.  The pull cord was wrapped around the guard but was intact.  This is the one I messed with today.

I disassembled the recoil starter assembly and found the recoil clock spring had tied itself into a knot from some one yanking WAY too hard on it....duh.

I let the spring go SPRONG!!!! across the shop and then began the process of winding it back up.  I clamped the recoil starter cover in my vise and laid out the parts and screws and the cord, with the correct tools.  I took a few minutes to determine which way I had to wind it as I did not want to have to do this nightmare twice because I wound it backwards.  35 minutes of me slowly rolling the recoil engagement pawl across my chest, slowly winding up the spring around the pawl.  I then have to flip it over, without letting it go SPRONG!!! and capture the hook on the end of the spring in the cover where it goes.  I did it on the first friggen try.... NEVER will that happen again on the first try!  Don't bother with lottery tickets, just used up the luck for the year.

I then take 20 minutes to put the cover back on the saw and check all the screws all over the saw. 

Press the primer 6 times per the directions.

Pull out the choke.

Hold the handle.

Pull the starter cord.

Pull the starter cord.

Pull the starter cord.

VVVVROOOOMMMMM!

Yea, so I stood there in the garage playing the chain saw song....
Jackyl: Lumber Jack

« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 06:14:10 PM by Lew »
Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation, for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

"In God we Trust.  All others, we watch."

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #223 on: June 17, 2017, 06:44:33 PM »

Not a bad day at all.

Who is Indrid Cold?

soot shooter

• Sergeant at Arms
  • SGT at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 18, 2017, 09:21:48 AM »

John has a 14" Homelite he bought for his Dad when we were in H.S. He worked in a mower / tool shop and got it for cost I believe. I wish they were still in business but Home Depot put them under.
 He still uses that saw for smaller logs or limbing dead falls. I do not have a clue as to how many chords that saw cut. But, His folks mostly heated their two story home on L.I. and then the single wide on the place upstate till his Dad passed away in the 90's. It is a great saw.
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
 PGRNY9 RIDING IN MEMORY OF DAD USN AM CHARLES JENKINS
 RIDING WITH RESPECT
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16