Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Winter is here....  (Read 528 times)

Lew

• Always Watching
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Winter is here....
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2018, 07:50:03 PM »

This is where "do it yourself" comes in to mind.
Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation, for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

"In God we Trust.  All others, we watch."

Aussie Bloke!

• Foreign Correspondent
  • Life Member: NRA SSAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2018, 10:09:04 PM »

G'day everyone,......

Yep, I bet D I Y would have saved you a small fortune.

I installed my electric stove/oven at my place, its simple.
Dos'nt take a rocket scientist to do these jobs.

You can still do the job yourself at this point.

Aussie.
A free man can walk with a rifle,...                                                                                                        
A Subjugated  man is esscorted by a rifle,...

Which are YOU?

I survived the Tyrany of a Traitor called Jack Boot Johny.

soot shooter

• Sergeant at Arms
  • SGT at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2018, 04:30:24 PM »

I do wood not sparks. The UL listing has declared the system a fire hazard. It is no longer code. We are looking to sell in 6 years, so up to code now and, eleviate the situation too. The part is not UL listed so no longer available. He just called , dropped the drive shaft in his van. Got towed to a local shop. I can pass by tomorrow to verify that. Have to get trimmed, I in a vintage T-shirt could pass for someone in an early 70's Easy Rider Mag. He is coming at 1P.M. tomorrow. Or we start all over with a new contractor.
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
 PGRNY9 RIDING IN MEMORY OF DAD USN AM CHARLES JENKINS
 RIDING WITH RESPECT

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
  • It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2018, 06:52:26 PM »

We had a pretty spectacular hail storm blow through here this afternoon.

Sky is mostly clear with patches of thick clouds rolling through.  The high today warmed up to almost 50 - the warmest since November!  The Boss takes the youngest cat outside for a walk to let him learn the lay of the land and the other two boy cats tag along.  I am inside the house and movement catches my attention.  It is a tree branch falling out of the sky!  I look around and see the power lines to the west are starting to move but to the east they are still.  So I keep looking to the west.  Next thing I know is everyone is running for the house!  Coming down from the north is a black wall of hail.  The cat crew were to the south and so to Rocky it must have seemed counter-intuitive to run into the approaching storm - but this is the direction the house is.  When the leading edge of the hail began to fall around him and he seen everyone else going up the porch stairs he realized he was the last cat out in the weather and charged into the hail for cover.  The hail was falling almost horizontal and the house roared not just from hail on the metal roof but from hail hitting the windows.  During the entire storm we remained in direct bright sunlight!  Five minutes after I seen the tree branch fall out of the clouds the storm was gone.

When given the opportunity to go back outside to finish his walk, Rocky took a pass and instead let himself out to the catio.
Keeping a list, and checking it twice, of those to visit during the 2nd American Revolution.

Who is Indrid Cold?

soot shooter

• Sergeant at Arms
  • SGT at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2018, 04:17:22 PM »

Lesson learned.
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
 RIDING WITH RESPECT

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2018, 08:52:10 PM »

Here at the Hardway Ranch we don't feel the cold unless it gets windy.  Fortunately it doesn't get windy very often.  But when it does get windy it feels like it blows right through the house.  In still air I am just fine working outdoors in a T-shirt when it is sunny and 45F temperature outside.  But when the wind blows it tries to make the house 45F on the inside also.  I need to double or more the attic insulation because this is why the wind chills the house - the roof ventilation is plenty more than adequate.  So tonight the forecast is calling for a low of +5F which by itself is easy enough to deal with.  But the wind is picking up and it is not going to let off until after sunrise.  Brrrrr!!!
Keeping a list, and checking it twice, of those to visit during the 2nd American Revolution.

Who is Indrid Cold?

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2018, 09:57:56 PM »

First real ice of the year came last night.   Going to the store with Kid #2, and before I say a warning, she heads out the front door and jumps out onto the sidewalk.   And zips right off.  Onto the ground.  And hits her head on the sidewalk.  Sidewalk is fine. 
Seeing the world through a rose colored bombsight.

Who is John Galt?

Can't we all just get a long gun?

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2018, 10:03:25 PM »

Two thoughts on that:

1)  In the Army I was trained "How To Fall".  Look it up and share the lessons - they will last a lifetime!

2)  Around here this is the time of year when everything will ice over.  Before now the snow had a lot of crunch to it and traction was good.  But we have had a week of well above freezing high temperatures every day and now the top layer of snow is 2" thick ice!  If I am NOT wearing strap-on ice cleats on my feet then the walk I do we call the 'mummy shuffle' in that both feet stay on the ground all the time and the knees are never locked.

Who is Indrid Cold?

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2018, 10:11:18 PM »

I admit I have an advantage the kids don't.  First thing in the morning I send the poop eaters out the back door.  If they slip on the wood steps, there is ice, and I am warned.

Up until today, ice has been gone by 10:00, noon at the latest.    We usually have several cases of ice then snow on top by now.   Since this is the first, even though it came on a Saturday night, there are several schools delayed on Monday.  Sigh. 

Who is John Galt?

soot shooter

• Sergeant at Arms
  • SGT at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2018, 04:35:04 PM »

Roll head forward and slap back hard with arms. I have been thrown by many a horse between trying to make it in rodeo and working to saddle break horses for trainers. No not like on Bonanza. These were expensive Thorobreds and Quarter horse race horses.
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
 RIDING WITH RESPECT

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2018, 07:19:59 PM »

I've learned that stuff too, but I've had ice falls that happened so fast I was down before I knew what happened.   I'll never forget one when washing the car on my wedding day when I found a frozen spot in the car wash.   

Who is John Galt?

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2018, 09:58:58 PM »

What might be the single strangest storm front of Winter will hit us tonight.  We are looking at 8" to 12" of snow before sunrise and it hasn't even started yet (7:00pm now).  And after noon it is suppose to be clear skies!

Who is Indrid Cold?

Lew

• Always Watching
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2018, 04:57:45 AM »

Sounds normal to me.
Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation, for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

"In God we Trust.  All others, we watch."

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2018, 09:01:06 AM »

High temp of 50 today.  62 tomorrow. 

Who is John Galt?

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2018, 03:26:18 PM »

Here & gone like two ships passing in the night.  About 9:00pm we began to see glitter in the air.  An hour later snow was coming down so thick it nearly blocked out the street light.  This morning the clouds blocked the sunrise and there is about 6" of snow on the ground, (which works out to about six yards deep in weatherman language).  And before noon the sky cleared and the sun glared off the snow so brightly we closed the drapes to keep from going snow-blind inside the house!

Who is Indrid Cold?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5