Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Cast Iron Baking  (Read 58 times)

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
  • It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
Cast Iron Baking
« on: January 02, 2018, 03:37:24 AM »

I baked a cheap 'box cake' in my 12" cast iron frying pan.  I did some research and it looks like the only preparations required is to butter the pan.  With the oven coming up to temperature I put the pan on a burner at medium heat and dropped in a tablespoon of butter.  I used a basting brush to chase the butter around the pan.  When the butter was completely melted I shut off the heat then painted the butter up the sides of the pan.  Then I poured in the cake batter and put the pan in the oven.  I figured it would take a while to bake and it did.  The box says a bunt pan will take about 38 to 45 minutes so I checked the cake at 35 minutes with a bamboo skewer.  I took it out at 42 minutes and let it cool on a wire rack for five minutes.  The cake rose up to fill the pan 98% leaving a perfectly flat surface (cake bottom).  I covered the pan with a large plate then flipped them together to turn the cake out of the pan.  The cake fell right out - it was awesome!
Keeping a list, and checking it twice, of those to visit during the 2nd American Revolution.

Who is Indrid Cold?

Kenny Solomon

• Political Analyst
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cast Iron Baking
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 07:41:21 AM »

Single-serving size.    :cool:
Col. Craig, your blimp is here !  :cool:

soot shooter

• Sergeant at Arms
  • SGT at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 08:14:25 AM »

Now you have to learn a way to cook it in rationing sizes. Just like cookies! >:D
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
 PGRNY9 RIDING IN MEMORY OF DAD USN AM CHARLES JENKINS
 RIDING WITH RESPECT

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 02:49:10 PM »

I have other sizes but this pan is closest in area to a 9" x 13" rectangle pan we usually use.  I wanted something that would have a similar area to keep the depth about the same.  It worked.  Next time I might try a Dutch oven with pudding and/or fruit on the bottom so it will be on the top of the cake when I dump it out.
Keeping a list, and checking it twice, of those to visit during the 2nd American Revolution.

Who is Indrid Cold?

Kenny Solomon

• Political Analyst
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 03:09:31 PM »

.....fruit on the bottom so it will be on the top of the cake when I dump it out.

Frog for apple tart is, "Tarte Tatin".

The great one - Julia Child - makes one of the best - if you don't count the whole directly-out-of-the-oven de-panning thing.

Hint:  Just like a done-perfectly-rare prime steak, you must let the Tarte Tatin rest before doing anything to it.

The video below is the full show titled "Apple Desserts".   Her Tarte Tatin is in the middle of the episode.   Start the video at about 16m40s.  The 'magic' happens starting about 17m15s.   I'll give her one thing:  She doesn't miss a beat.  Just keeps going.

Julia Child - Apple Desserts

Col. Craig, your blimp is here !  :cool:

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 04:25:35 PM »

Cool - thanks Kenny!

Who is Indrid Cold?