Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: The Hunt is Over. 1992 BMW K75S  (Read 951 times)

soot shooter

• Sergeant at Arms
  • SGT at Arms
    • View Profile
Re: The Hunt is Over. 1992 BMW K75S
« Reply #90 on: February 08, 2018, 04:41:07 PM »

Most riders of anything but crotch rockets are over 50!
Barry BMW's seem to be the bike of choice in Alaska. With knobby tires and hard saddle bags. Just about built for the rugged use. Near the military bases we saw a few crotch rockets. Kids had shipped when they got orders there. Many of them go down. Usually from the gravel used for grip put down in the winter. Some with facial trauma from impact at speed with moose testicles! Then the H-D riders come out only in the best weather. Staying mostly to town roads or the 3 major highways. Not the back roads [ Alaska style that is ].
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
 PGRNY9 RIDING IN MEMORY OF DAD USN AM CHARLES JENKINS
 RIDING WITH RESPECT

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 08, 2018, 11:03:13 PM »

I remember when the first BMW GS model came out.  An on/off road bike that big?  That heavy?  With a big cylinder sticking out each side?  And it costs how much?  Nobody will buy that thing!
It's a good thing I don't run a motorcycle company, because those are BMW's cash cow.

Seeing the world through a rose colored bombsight.

Who is John Galt?

Can't we all just get a long gun?

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
  • It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #92 on: February 08, 2018, 11:48:42 PM »

When I was stationed at Ft. Wainwright, AK, one of my SGT's got a brand new Dakar with every option and then some. It was the most expensive MC I had ever seen in person up to then! It's probably still on the road today.
Keeping a list, and checking it twice, of those to visit during the 2nd American Revolution.

Who is Indrid Cold?

soot shooter

• Sergeant at Arms
  • SGT at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2018, 04:14:52 PM »

Well those I could not even think of the $ needed. But they were built more like tanks than scoots! But perfect for that area!
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
 PGRNY9 RIDING IN MEMORY OF DAD USN AM CHARLES JENKINS
 RIDING WITH RESPECT

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2018, 12:15:17 PM »

I finally paid my first visit to the nearest BMW motorcycle dealer's parts desk and introduced them to their new best friend: me.

They aren't real far, but they aren't exactly in a place I'm at often either, but I had Kid #2 at the children's hospital this morning and took her on a cultural tour afterwards since it's close to there.  This was a feeler mission.   Although I still have quite a list of pieces and parts I want, I only asked for a couple of things to see how they were. 

The items were an owner's manual and a pair of crush washers for the fork oil drain plug screws.   The manual is all over the Internet, but I want a hard copy of course.   I quickly found something funny about manual prices.  I could either buy a used one from a motorcycle forum or auction site for $30-$60...or get a brand new one from a dealer selling them online for $21 and up, plus shipping. 
My dealer didn't have one in stock, but I now have one ordered for $18.97.

The crush washers seem a bit scarce online, but the cheapest I've seen are $1.65.  They were in stock here for $1.67.

I also saw one of the same helmets I've been looking at was on clearance.  A Nolan modular.   It was $11 less than the best online price I've seen.  Their regular prices on Nolan and Shoei helmets weren't that much more than I've been seeing online, which surprised me.  I didn't bother looking at Shuberth helmets. Glove prices seemed a bit high however.

I will look around more when I go back for the manual and don't have 14 year old, but it looks promising so far.    Better than I had hoped, but I do keep the bar set pretty low most of the time as you guys surely understand.   

Who is John Galt?

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
  • It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2018, 01:19:33 PM »

Now that you have an OEM crush washer you can find an identical one for a lot less someplace else.  Crush washers are all over Amazon.com and in bulk cost as little as $0.25 each.
Keeping a list, and checking it twice, of those to visit during the 2nd American Revolution.

Who is Indrid Cold?

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2018, 03:13:27 PM »

Yeah, I could've waited and measured the old ones, but you know the hazards involved in that!  I've learned that lesson before.  Not long after I learned to make sure I can break filler plugs loose before I remove drain plugs. 

Who is John Galt?

Lew

• Always Watching
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2018, 05:51:54 PM »

And that was before he learned to check the old oil filter for its oring.....
Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation, for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

"In God we Trust.  All others, we watch."
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]