Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Comparing 'All Purpose' Baking Mix "Jiffy" and "Bisquick"  (Read 22 times)

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
  • It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
Comparing 'All Purpose' Baking Mix "Jiffy" and "Bisquick"
« on: December 06, 2017, 11:46:11 PM »

I found our boxes of Bisquick brand all purpose baking mix were nearing the expiration date so I used them up in pancakes, waffles and biscuits. 

That made me get lazy about baking from scratch so I got more Bisquick.  But this time I tried two varieties of Bisquick, regular and 'heart-smart' versions. 

What is the difference?  I think the only difference is the recipes, NOT the Bisquick ingredients.  We did not like the way our pancakes and waffles turned out from the 'heart-smart' Bisquick.  But I had an idea to use that version of Bisquick but follow the recipe found on the 'regular' Bisquick box.  Pancakes and waffles turned out just fine!

Last week I see Jiffy brand all purpose baking mix.  I have never seen this before so I take a look.  The box is covered in various recipes, just like a Bisquick box, and there are many more on-line at their website.  The regular price of Jiffy is still four bits cheaper than Bisquick on sale!  So I get a couple boxes to try.

Tonight I broke into the Jiffy brand to make waffles.  The first batch I followed the directions to the letter and it turned out really thick, but I went with it.  Honestly, the only difference between pancake batter and waffle batter is how thick or thin you make it - waffles need thinner batter.  So when the batter is really thick it takes longer to bake, might burn, and is difficult to release from the waffle iron.  I got all of that from the first batch of Jiffy mix.  The second batch I thinned with extra milk to my experience and this batch of batter turned out perfect.

So the heathens I share my house with say the Jiffy waffles are equal to or better than the Bisquick waffles.  I agree.  This is good to know because they are cheaper too.  My next test with the Jiffy mix will be biscuits coming soon.

Meanwhile, if you want to know, you can cook bacon in a waffle iron and the bacon will turn out fantastic!  The waffle grid holds down the bacon so it will not curl, the grease drains away, and both sides are cooked at once.  But the waffle iron must be drained between each batch or else it will overflow with bacon grease.  Also, there is something about bacon grease that makes a non-stick waffle iron stick to waffles like cheap Chinese cast iron pans stick to eggs.  So if you do cook bacon in your waffle iron you will have to scrub the waffle iron before pouring batter into it.  Not a big deal - just say'n you can't go directly from bacon to batter or else you will have one Hell of a time getting the waffles to release.
Keeping a list, and checking it twice, of those to visit during the 2nd American Revolution.

Who is Indrid Cold?

Kenny Solomon

• Political Analyst
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Israel Survival Updates
Re: Comparing 'All Purpose' Baking Mix "Jiffy" and "Bisquick"
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 08:16:07 AM »

I've used both Bisquick and Jiffy.  Not bad.  Convenient as all get-out.

But, I'd still rather make my own.  Yes, it's a p.i.t.a., but worth it.

I've been on a crepe kick lately..... dinner-type.  Enough 'bad' carbs to make me happy, but not enough to start putting back the 25+lbs I dropped.

Chicken Marsala crepes with some Asiago and chives on top.

Shrimp and scallops francese crepes with roasted garlic and sage.

Buf la Bourguignonne crepes topped with fried shallots.

And the first one I ever did:   My pulled pork and bbq sauce in a crepe topped with a non-mayo-based cole slaw.

"I'm ordering our bombers back to 'fail-safe'.  We might have to go through this thing after all." ..... Gen. Beringer, NORAD, Wargames 1983

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
  • It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
Re: Comparing 'All Purpose' Baking Mix "Jiffy" and "Bisquick"
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 12:47:43 PM »

I just discovered 'dinner crepes' and am still exploring that rabbit hole.
Keeping a list, and checking it twice, of those to visit during the 2nd American Revolution.

Who is Indrid Cold?