Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sketchy 'Man Lift' Setup  (Read 85 times)

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
  • It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
Sketchy 'Man Lift' Setup
« on: November 14, 2017, 04:31:25 PM »

I am enclosing a small portion of the back porch with chicken wire for the indoor cats to have free access via a cat-door.  This will let them experience the ice & snow etc. without having to deal with predators that make cats vanish.  The last run of chicken wire to staple in place was a stretch to reach.  The ground slopes away in two directions making it impossible for a ladder to get a firm footing.  I have an extension ladder with an adjustable foot just for uneven ground but the slope here is too steep making it out of range of adjustment for that ladder.  Add to this the ground is soft from rain & snow - even a step ladder will sink in, one leg hits a rock just below the surface and then the ladder begins to lean over!  I was just about to begin making temporary scaffolding because my ideas were quickly proving themselves to be failures.  Then I came up with this one:

I simply raised up the tractor bucket to give the ladder support.

To keep the tractor level enough so the bucket would stay close to the job when raised I used a common wheel ramp.  The wheel ramp was going to slice into the soft soil under the weight of the tractor.  If I used a board this would become a ski for the wheel ramp to slide down hill.  So I found a small scrap of chain link fence to toss onto the ground.  This provided the right combination of spread out footprint and enough bite.  These photos do not do justice to how steep of a slope I have the tractor on.

The ground slopes away steeply just ahead of the tractor.  From this perspective I am standing up just ahead of the bucket and looking up at the work sight.

Looking down at the sketchy platform from inside the 'catio'.  I am holding the camera near the most difficult to reach location I had to get at from the ladder.  See the red rod just beyond the bucket arms?  That is my marker so that when I drive out of the car port and turn right if I cut inside that marker then the front right tire will fall into the abyss taking the vehicle with it non-stop until it rolls sideways into the stack of firewood!

The only way this could have been more sketchy is if I was working on electrical in the rain.  The enclosure is now all tightly stapled shut.  All I have left to do is add a couple of barrel bolts to the screen door then cut in the cat-doors.
Keeping a list, and checking it twice, of those to visit during the 2nd American Revolution.

Who is Indrid Cold?

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Sketchy 'Man Lift' Setup
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 06:21:39 PM »

At what point did you say "Hold my beer!"?
Seeing the world through a rose colored bombsight.

Who is John Galt?

Can't we all just get a long gun?

Kenny Solomon

• Political Analyst
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Israel Survival Updates
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 06:33:26 PM »

As opsmgr and also safety director at the company where I work, I say..... 'No, I didn't see that. Don't tell me you got on it.'

As a guy, I say..... 'Git-r-done !  Highly creative.'

"I'm ordering our bombers back to 'fail-safe'.  We might have to go through this thing after all." ..... Gen. Beringer, NORAD, Wargames ©1983

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 06:36:31 PM »

No beer required!  And do take note the first half-dozen ideas were wayyyyy to sketchy to even attempt. 
Keeping a list, and checking it twice, of those to visit during the 2nd American Revolution.

Who is Indrid Cold?

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 07:35:29 PM »

That scrap of chain link on the ground can act as a cushion/safety net also.   Maybe put it down a little bunched up and sloppier instead of flat and neat next time, though.  If you had some leftover chicken wire to roll up and scatter around underneath you to act as "crush zones", you would've been bulletproof!

As long as you didn't whack the loader bucket on the way down.

Who is John Galt?

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 07:40:46 PM »

As long as you didn't whack the loader bucket on the way down.

The soft loader bucket was there to deflect my fall onto the cushy log splitter.

Who is Indrid Cold?

Lew

• Always Watching
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 09:50:03 PM »

you should have put the ladder in the tractor bucket. it won't sink through the steel... then you would be a real red neck.
Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation, for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

"In God we Trust.  All others, we watch."

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 10:06:50 PM »

I hope you carried your banjo up there with you!

Who is John Galt?

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 10:39:13 PM »

Lew, that was the original plan, put the ladder into the bucket.  But try after try to level the tractor failed.  I was back where I started at with a listing ladder but this time it was already starting off at 3' above the ground!  I actually stood in the bucket to get the first 4' of staples in.  That was the easy part.  When I decided to change positions with the tractor I was still thinking of putting the ladder into the bucket.  When I leaned the ladder into the position you see here I realized as long as the tractor does not move then the ladder won't either.  I had to stand on the 2nd rung down from the top of the ladder to reach the highest point to staple.  And to get the stapler into position I had to hold it left handed with my pinky on the trigger while I used my right hand to pull the air hose tight so it would be slack from my right hand up to the staple gun.  I felt like I was doing some kind of fancy trick shooting!

Barry, my guardian angle plays the banjo.

Who is Indrid Cold?

Lew

• Always Watching
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 11:05:00 PM »

You know how I would have done that job.... I would have built a simple frame like outa 2x3's and stapled the wire to the drame and then run a few screws to hold the 2x3....from inside the porch.
Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation, for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 12:58:59 AM »

You know how I would have done that job.... I would have built a simple frame like outa 2x3's and stapled the wire to the drame and then run a few screws to hold the 2x3....from inside the porch.
If I did not have metal siding on the house I would have done the same... starting out.  In hindsight I think that way would have been worth the extra effort anyways.  But it is done now.

Who is Indrid Cold?

soot shooter

• Sergeant at Arms
  • SGT at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 05:29:50 PM »

What a fail! Col.There is already a Brothel called the Chicken Ranch!
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
 PGRNY9 RIDING IN MEMORY OF DAD USN AM CHARLES JENKINS
 RIDING WITH RESPECT

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 05:41:39 PM »

What a fail! Col.There is already a Brothel called the Chicken Ranch!
I've driven by it.  I think Lew has an old membership card turning to dust in his wallet.

Who is Indrid Cold?

Lew

• Always Watching
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 07:31:09 PM »

...it is like getting pecked to death by a duck....

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 08:16:36 PM »

Or ducked to death by a pecker?  Wait.  What?

I was thinking... If Craig had hooked one end of a chain around his waist and the other end to the loader bucket, maybe The Boy could've got him swinging and got him up there.   Whack a fastener or two in every pass by.  Shouldn't take more than a week or two. 

Later, you'd have a toy: an extra large version of one of those Mexican get-the-ball-in-the-cup toys.  Try to land the Craig in the bucket!  I bet you could rent it out to birthday parties.  When they get bored with it, leave him hanging, pass around the sticks, and tell them it's a piñata!

It's a damned gold mine!

Who is John Galt?

Pages: [1] 2