Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Author Topic: New Welding Techniques with Old Equipment Hack  (Read 278 times)

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
  • It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
New Welding Techniques with Old Equipment Hack
« on: November 06, 2017, 11:21:45 PM »

Check this out.  About ten years ago an Italian company that makes welding equipment applied all the pulse technology common to a TIG welding machine to their MIG welding machine.  After a little practice they realized they had come up with an entirely new level of MIG welding.  In no time at all the international welding community accepted the revelation and came to a common set of standards for use in industry. 

Except for here in N. America.  The problem is not with the consumers or the manufacturing and construction industry but it is with all of the government regulations that take forever to change, adapt, or be updated.  Have no doubt A/C pulse arc MIG welding is being used within the military industrial complex without any kind of official government standards to sanction the quality or results.  But the rest of the country can not use this technique for anything that is held to an inspection or standard.

This will soon change as the gears of government are turning as fast as the lubrication of cash under the table can get them to spin.

Meanwhile, in the world of industrial high speed TIG welding there is a feature which is, or was, making its way down to the lower end welding shop.  'High speed' TIG is nearly an oxymoron because the TIG process is fairly slow.  One way to speed up the TIG process is with a wire feeder to replace the hand-held welding rod.  Robot TIG welders use a wire feeder.  A hand-held wire feeder for TIG costs a couple thousand dollars!

Guess what?  Take a cheap Harbor Freight MIG machine, disconnect the hot lead, and you now have a 'wire feeder' for your TIG!  Here is the video:

Moving on...

That same Italian company that came up with the pulse MIG also applied the concept to a standard stick arc weldor and the results are like magic!  It turns out even though this pulse-stick machine is newer it will actually be ahead of the pusle-MIG machine to the N. American market.  I do not know why but that is the way it is.  Follow the money if you want to know the details.

Guess what?  Take any modern TIG machine, replace the tungsten with a common 6011 rod, and you will have your very own pulse-stick machine!  Here is the video:

I have seen demonstrations of the pulse-stick welding and it is nothing short of amazing!  I wasn't ready yet to trade in my TIG/stick and MIG for new machines but I was having some serious anxiety about not waiting a few years longer only to be shopping right now when all of this cool technology is making its way into weldors.  But not any more.  Now that I have seen demonstrations of the technique I know with some practice I can achieve the same results.

:cool:
Keeping a list, and checking it twice, of those to visit during the 2nd American Revolution.

Who is Indrid Cold?

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: New Welding Techniques with Old Equipment Hack
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 08:13:59 AM »

And here I am, dreaming of someday getting an outlet to use my arc welder.
Seeing the world through a rose colored bombsight.

Who is John Galt?

Can't we all just get a long gun?

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 08:07:29 PM »

And here I am, dreaming of someday getting an outlet to use my arc welder.

I assume you have something like a simple Lincoln 'tome stone' or 'buzz box' AC only arc welder?  Here is a quick and simple upgrade you have got to do!

You can get the bridge rectifier from Amazon.com for about $40.
Keeping a list, and checking it twice, of those to visit during the 2nd American Revolution.

Who is Indrid Cold?

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 08:13:16 PM »

Added to the wish list.
Dad had an AC/DC Lincoln.  If nothing else, it was easier to start an arc at a lower amperage in DC.

Who is John Galt?

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 09:35:47 PM »

I suffered with a 120 VAC 'buzz box' I got from an auto parts store long before I ever heard of Harbor Freight Tools.  It was rated at 115 welding amps but anything over 90 amps would usually trip the breaker.  The only way I could weld with it was to use 1/16" rods.  Welding anything thicker than sheet metal was not an option.  But I will tell you what, if anyone says you can't weld sheet metal with a stick on AC I've got some stories to tell them!  At the home before this one I found a pair dedicated outlets, one 120VAC and one 240VAC, in the garage about two feet from the service panel.  The breakers were not labeled which means they are added after the home constructions was finished.  The 120VAC outlet had a 20 amp breaker - yahoo!  These two outlets are obviously for a welder or other heavy use inside the garage.  This was the first time I was able to actually weld something with that POS!  1/8th" rods here I come.  But the grid to the neighborhood was so weak that when I did weld it would make the lights flicker on the entire section of the block serviced by our shared transformer - the neighbors didn't care for that at all.  Here at the Hardway Ranch I have my own transformer and even welding at 160 amps won't make the house lights take any notice.  One time just to see what would happen I cranked up the power to max - 205 or 210 amps - that 1/8th" 7018 rod popped like a flash bulb!

:cool:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 09:38:18 PM by Col. Craig »

Who is Indrid Cold?

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 01:17:23 AM »

Barry, you do know, don't you, that with your buzz box you can also do basic TIG welding just by changing the welding leads.

Who is Indrid Cold?

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 06:50:47 AM »

No I did not.
But without an outlet I can't even do arc welding, so one step at a time I guess.

Who is John Galt?

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 01:16:59 PM »

Do you have an electric clothes dryer or is it gas?

Who is Indrid Cold?

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 01:58:54 PM »

Electric, and its right by the garage door...

Who is John Galt?

Lew

• Always Watching
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 02:51:41 PM »

A guy I know, (NOT ME, I HAVE THE CORRECT HOOK UP!), made his own generator cord. He turns off the master breaker to the main power panel. He then connects his 220 from the genset to the dryer plug and back feeds the whole house. I so would not do this but it works.
Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation, for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

"In God we Trust.  All others, we watch."

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 06:27:09 PM »

Electric, and its right by the garage door...
There you go!  All you will need is an adapter pigtail to be in business.  Might cost some to buy the right adapter but making your own is simple enough.

When I was growing up my brother would run a 50' 240 VAC extension cord from the electric dryer outlet inside the house all the way out to our detached garage so he could weld with his buzz-box.  PITA but it worked.

Who is Indrid Cold?

Lew

• Always Watching
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 07:50:58 PM »

I used to do that too.
Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation, for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

"In God we Trust.  All others, we watch."

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2017, 12:24:08 AM »

A guy I know, (NOT ME, I HAVE THE CORRECT HOOK UP!), made his own generator cord. He turns off the master breaker to the main power panel. He then connects his 220 from the genset to the dryer plug and back feeds the whole house. I so would not do this but it works.

This is essentially how my generator is tied in to our power panel.  A circuit is added which goes out to the generator.  For that breaker to be turned "ON" there is a lock-out guard which must be moved.  The only way to move the lock-out is to first turn OFF the main breaker to the panel.  With the mains OFF this clears the path for the lock-out to move aside so the generator breaker can then be switched ON.  With the generator breaker in the ON position the switch will hold the lock-out in a position to block the main breaker thus holding it in the OFF position.  This lock-out makes it impossible to have both the main breaker and the generator breaker both in the ON position at the same time.  All of this is done to code.

Who is Indrid Cold?

Kenny Solomon

• Political Analyst
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 08:04:33 PM »

Col. Craig, your blimp is here !  :cool:

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 12:07:30 AM »

My favorite gas-ax is my plasma torch   :cool:

Who is Indrid Cold?