Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Author Topic: The American Salsa Guide  (Read 71 times)

Lew

• Always Watching
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
The American Salsa Guide
« on: October 01, 2017, 04:10:07 PM »

The American Salsa Guide

A recipe by Aimee & Lew Pratt

Salsa, the great chip compliment, so good you will dream about having it again.  We began our quest for a salsa not from a jar.  The salsa we had purchased in stores has always left us wanting a better product.  We tried them all, in the end, none were good enough to get us to give up the search.  We did what we usually do, we made our own.

We had some criteria, it had to be fresh, taste fantastic, and be reasonably healthy.  We searched the internet for a recipe.  We found a Pico de Gallo recipe on Ree Drummond’s Website.
The difference is we made Ree’s Pico de Gallo and added classic salsa spices.  Ree likes to make salsa also, but insists there be no chunks in the salsa.  I tried her recipe and it does not taste as good when run in a food processor or blender and pureed. The chunks really do make an improvement and tastes better, why? I have no idea.

Do not cheat on any ingredient and use any canned, dried, or processed ingredient.  Only use fresh whole ingredients, it really does make a big difference.

We start with 3-4 pounds of Plum or Roma tomato’s.  Dice them small.

Peel and dice a large yellow onion.

Cut the top off a jalapeño and dice it small keeping the seeds. I sometimes use 2 jalapeños for a warmer salsa.

Wash and dice a full bunch of Cilantro.  You can trim the stems off but do not need to strip the leaves off, some stem is ok.

Juice one lime.

Place all of the above to a large mixing bowl.

Add a ¼ teaspoon of Cumin.
Add a ¼ teaspoon of Cayenne. (Optional for a touch more heat.)
Add a ½ teaspoon of Sea Salt.
Add a ½ teaspoon of Sucanat (or sugar/sweetener).

Mix thoroughly and eat immediately with quality tortilla chips.  There WILL NOT BE LEFTOVERS!!! Muhahahaha!

This will only keep about 24 hours, so make it when you are ready to eat it.

Here is a printable PDF for you to use.
http://theamericansurvivalguide.com/a/l/salsa/The_American_Salsa_Guide.pdf

« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 04:17:43 PM by Lew »
Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation, for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

"In God we Trust.  All others, we watch."

Kenny Solomon

• Political Analyst
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Israel Survival Updates
Re: The American Salsa Guide
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 04:40:20 PM »

Salsa means sauce in Spanklish.  Blended, liquid-y, not much texture.

Pico is that there chunky stuff like y'all made - which is what I prefer bigly.

I also make two different Eye-Tal-Yan versions of pico.

1.   Tomatoes, scallions (or Spring onions in the Spring), fresh oregano, roasted garlic, a little malt vinegar, some good extra virgin olive oil, fresh grated Grana Padano, a touch of crushed red pepper flakes plus some sea salt and fresh ground pepper.

2.   The same thing, with some sauteed julienned/cut up pancetta and Prosciutto Di Parma, plus a few julienned/cut up pepperoncini (or banana peppers).

"I'm ordering our bombers back to 'fail-safe'.  We might have to go through this thing after all." ..... Gen. Beringer, NORAD, Wargames ©1983