Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Author Topic: FTC Approves Bass Pro Shop/Cabela's Merger  (Read 114 times)

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
FTC Approves Bass Pro Shop/Cabela's Merger
« on: July 05, 2017, 04:02:02 PM »

https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2017/07/05/breaking-news-bass-pro-cabelas-merger-receives-green-light-ftc/

The merger of Bass Pro Shops and Cabela’s has received the green light from antitrust regulators.

Fox Business is reporting the Federal Trade Commission has informed Cabela’s it has concluded its investigation of Bass Pro’s $4.2 billion buyout and has given the deal the official go-ahead. Cabela’s shareholders will vote on the deal July 11.

The two outdoor based retail companies originally agreed to a deal worth around $5.5 billion, but the deal hit a snag after Capital One ran into regulatory hurdles over its plans to buy all of World’s Foremost Bank, a Cabela’s subsidiary.
Seeing the world through a rose colored bombsight.

Who is John Galt?

Can't we all just get a long gun?

Kenny Solomon

• Political Analyst
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Israel Survival Updates
Re: FTC Approves Bass Pro Shop/Cabela's Merger
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 05:00:17 PM »

Since Gander's gone, finding a large toy retailer nowadays, that leaves what..... Bass Pro and then outside of the big blue cities there's most WallyWorld's - but Mr. Walton's group has a real limited selection of anything.

As much as I like Bass, I'll stick with the mom & pop shops.

"I'm ordering our bombers back to 'fail-safe'.  We might have to go through this thing after all." ..... Gen. Beringer, NORAD, Wargames ©1983

soot shooter

• Sergeant at Arms
  • SGT at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 05:03:22 PM »

Mixed emotions, I fear a gander mtn. like fiasco.
BPS  worked for my fishing and camping.
Cabela's for hunting , shooting, and, Lori's optics for nature watching.
 Hiking boots and other goodies depended whom had the better deal at the time.
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
 PGRNY9 RIDING IN MEMORY OF DAD USN AM CHARLES JENKINS
 RIDING WITH RESPECT

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 05:14:17 PM »

Gander Mountain is calling themselves Gander Outdoor now, so I expect they will be back in some form.  Whether they learned anything is another question. 

I'll stay with the mom and pop shops too.  I don't remember buying anything beyond ammo from a big box. 
I have to admit I haven't really tried, either.   I pass a big BPS each GA trip, and got a Cabelas just over an hour away maybe two years ago.   Not places I can go to often. 

Gunbroker, etc, is part of this picture.   While I try to stay with the local shops, have bought, uh, one or two, through an online auction or dealer.  Unless looking for something brand new, it's so much easier to find things.   I can search shops and gun shows for a certain gun for years without finding one.  Or at least, one I can get.   Or I can go to GB and find five or ten in as many minutes.   

That's hurting the small shops and big boys alike. 
Seeing the world through a rose colored bombsight.

Who is John Galt?

Can't we all just get a long gun?

soot shooter

• Sergeant at Arms
  • SGT at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 05:02:20 PM »

Thanks to Cuomo's un-safe act local shops are all but shuttered here.
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
 PGRNY9 RIDING IN MEMORY OF DAD USN AM CHARLES JENKINS
 RIDING WITH RESPECT

Kenny Solomon

• Political Analyst
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Israel Survival Updates
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 01:33:19 PM »

Cabela's shareholders approve sale to Bass Pro Shops.

Sidney, Nebraska - The Associated Press - 11 July 2017  ---  Cabela's shareholders are giving a nod to the sale of the outdoor outfitter to rival Bass Pro Shops for roughly $4 billion.  The Nebraska chain said Tuesday that shareholders approved a deal, announced in October, which will pay them $61.50 per share.

Sporting goods retailers, like the rest of the retail sector, has been under pressure because of changing shopping patterns.

Company officials have said they expect the sale to close later this year, but banking regulators must still approve the sale of Cabela's credit card unit, which is part of the deal.  After the buyout, the company will be based in Bass Pro's hometown of Springfield, Missouri.  It's not yet clear how many of the roughly 2,000 workers at Cabela's headquarters of Sidney, Nebraska will be kept on.

More than likely, a few of Cabela's folks will be kept on for however long it takes to shut down that headquarters building, then, sayonara.

"I'm ordering our bombers back to 'fail-safe'.  We might have to go through this thing after all." ..... Gen. Beringer, NORAD, Wargames ©1983

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
  • It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 11:09:34 PM »

My local Cabela's last week shat a massive sale that went out on a postcard mailer.  I trotted my happy ass down there and picked up a whole rack of nice XXL button up long tail (for CC) short sleeve single pocket collar shirts for about $17 a shirt!
Keeping a list, and checking it twice, of those to visit during the 2nd American Revolution.

Who is Indrid Cold?