Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 24

Author Topic: A Barn Find 1980 Honda CX500 Delux is in my workshop... And a GL1100 Goldwing...  (Read 2739 times)

soot shooter

• Sergeant at Arms
  • SGT at Arms
    • View Profile

Guess they push the Jap crap off a cliff and be done with them. But, Harley's are worth salvaging.
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
 PGRNY9 RIDING IN MEMORY OF DAD USN AM CHARLES JENKINS
 RIDING WITH RESPECT

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
  • It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch

Actually, when they get to the East coast the bikes go into a shipping container to catch up with them in Europe later. The Japanese bikes are worth taking home to sell on in Europe.

Did you see a V-twin has won the Pike's Peak hill climb?
Keeping a list, and checking it twice, of those to visit during the 2nd American Revolution.

Who is Indrid Cold?

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch

Today was a great day of two-wheel therapy for Parker and I.

The first tank of fuel in the CX500 gave up a little over 38 mpg.  This is in line with what I am expecting based upon what I am reading of other's experience.  It looks like 45 mpg is about the very top under ideal conditions which I did not ride it in.  The next time we go out we will see if this has improved - I expect it will a little bit.

The GL1100 needs a lot of love.  After the ride today I am taking it out of service until I get the front brakes sorted out.  That will have to wait until Tuesday.

We rode about 150 miles today and Parker got to take in all kinds of road conditions.  The first thing we did is go to a nearby dead end road with a closed business at the end of it to practice on before hitting the more crowded roads.  He was very timid at acceleration in our MC riding class.  I have told him he will need to learn how to move out with a purpose before I let him on the public roads.  So I had him practice his launch on this road by following me.  After about six launches following me I had him ride next to me and I gave a '3 - 2 - 1 - GO!' count.  I held back to his pace for a couple of these launches and afterwords gave encouragement to be more aggressive next time.  Then I moved him up to 'race' me in the launch.  The speed limit on this road is only 25 mph which is barely enough to get the clutch fully released but it is all I need to get him to practice how to take off hard without killing the engine.  So we did a couple of 'drag race' launches and he was keeping up just fine.  So then we hit the road.

At the center of the county we stopped for 'biker coffee' at the drive up kiosk - there is a parking area off to the side with a table and chairs in the grass.  There is usually a line at this coffee stand but we got lucky.  I get off the GL and there is no line on our side so I walk up before I had peeled off my riding gear.  The girls seemed really happy to get our coffee order.  Then I remember the sticker...  On the front of my helmet is a "Show Me Your Tits" sticker left over from 1998 - I keep forgetting its there.   O:-)  While we enjoyed our drink a guy circles us twice then pulls up and puts down his window.  He says, "Who is riding the CX500?"  I point to Parker in case this guy is going to start shooting - but he doesn't.  He goes on that it is identical to his old CX500.  I asked him where it is?  He says he rode it for 100,000 trouble free miles but in the middle of a road trip it finally died of electrical gremlins.  He found himself in a motorcycle dealer to get it repaired but instead he traded it in for a new bike and road it off to finish his vacation.  He goes on to say he wishes he had kept it.

:cool:

On our ride back home Parker got to experience exactly how it is to ride a motorcycle on a public road with "Opposing" traffic.  I quote "Opposing" because they are the "Opposing" team - they are out to get us!  We catch up to a 'shrunken apple head' driving a motor home @ 45 mph on a 55 mph State highway.  I follow him for long enough to realize he has reached top speed.  Parker has closed up close and I go for the pass.  The expression goes, "Look where you want to go".  Turn that formula around and you will 'go where you are looking'.  So I pull out to pass the motor home and in the motor home driver's side mirror I see the old man looking at me.  And looking at me.  And still looking at me as I pass below his window at which time he has merged across the center line and is about to cross into the ditch right behind me as I go by!  He yanks the steering wheel back to the right, over corrects and this 'cracks the whip' on his little dingy (a PT cruiser) - Parker said he thought it was lifting its tires off the pavement from whipping back and forth!  Then he honks at me and honks at Parker when he made his pass a few moments later!

At the end of the day I ask Parker how he likes riding a motorcycle and he replies with, "This is way more fun than I expected it to be - the bike just goes where I think without any conscious effort!"

:cool:
Keeping a list, and checking it twice, of those to visit during the 2nd American Revolution.

Who is Indrid Cold?

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

"I point to Parker in chase this guy is going to start shooting"
Seeing the world through a rose colored bombsight.

Who is John Galt?

Can't we all just get a long gun?

soot shooter

• Sergeant at Arms
  • SGT at Arms
    • View Profile

The young'in is catching on fast. Do not forget to have him do slow manouvers in parking lots. He can learn much that way.
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
 RIDING WITH RESPECT

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch

The young'in is catching on fast. Do not forget to have him do slow manouvers in parking lots. He can learn much that way.
That was 95% of our MC class.

Who is Indrid Cold?

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch

Sometimes its better to hire out skills than it is to do some things yourself.

After watching some YouTube videos on rebuilding a motorcycle front master cylinder I realized the job should be performed by somebody who has more experience than I do at looking at the inside of a master cylinder.  If there were nothing to notice then I would be just fine to do the job myself.  But if there is something not right that isn't obvious to me then this could miss my notice.  I don't want to wast the $$ on rebuilding a master cylinder that is beyond repair and I do not want to ride the motorcycle with such a master cylinder.  So today I hired out the job.  $30 labor well spent.

Interesting thing about motorcycle shops.  The shops that race on Sunday take Monday off also.  These will be all of your 'metric' motorcycle and other powersports manufacturers.  On the other hand, none of the Harley Davidsons are raced for various reasons and so the H-D shops are open on Sundays and Mondays.  There is one shop in Spokane that makes their gravy off of H-D owners but their true love is metric bikes.  This is the place I took the master cylinder to have it rebuilt - because they are open today (Monday).  His 'metric' mechanic will not be in until Tuesday, however, but the price is right so I am good with it.  I might have the master cylinder back by the end of the week.

Who is Indrid Cold?

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch

I have the grand total invested into the CX500 so far. 

Only $971.88 USD

I am not counting shop supplies and consumables that I resupplied from my stash or can/will be used later on other projects.  Also, I did not count any tools that can/will be used on other projects - these are shop investments.  The only money counted is the money that is physically on the CX500 including taxes like sales taxes on the parts, licensing and registration fees.

It is not easy to pin down a value for the CX500 as there aren't many on the market in 'original' condition - most are modified - this one is modified as it doesn't have the OEM headlight bucket or front turn signals.  The cheapest CX's I can find are on Craig's List .org.  Locally on Craig's List they are going for about $1,250 - $2,500 depending upon age, millage, and condition.  The middle price CX's are on 'cycle trader' .com.  Cycle trader is running $2k - $3k.  And the most expensive are found on eBay starting at about $2.5k and goes past $6k for a highly customized cafe racer!!!  Those prices are about six weeks old - just before we began to drop $$ on this project - we needed to get an idea of what our budget should be and I was thinking about 50% the asking price for a CX500 in the condition this will be in when it is finished.  I think we did okay by that measure.

If I could buy this CX in its present condition for $1,500 I would jump on it.  For $2k I would keep looking around but come back to check often.  Factor in our time/labor and the investment value is a wash.  But I will not include our time/labor as this is 'hobby time' which I do not count.

As of right now I am planning to buy myself a brand new motorcycle within six to nine months.  But I have no plans to sell or trade in either of these.  They are so cheap I'd be a fool to let one go.  They are just too much fun to tinker with.  I have had a brand new motorcycle before and it was an absolute blast ... but I couldn't 'tinker' with it.  These old bikes I can tinker with!   :cool:

Who is Indrid Cold?

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch

I was talking with my buddy I got the CX from and he corrects my understanding of its history.  I thought the CX was a running & riding bike when it was parked at his storage facility. 

WRONG!

It was trailered in and he was told it "Was running before but it will not run now".  This is a lot more detail than I had when I was negotiating the sale - now I think in hindsight I paid too much for it!  Good thing it all worked out in the end.

:eek:

Who is Indrid Cold?

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

It still sounds like a bargain.
Maybe not for most people, who think they could get it going but are wrong.
Seeing the world through a rose colored bombsight.

Who is John Galt?

Can't we all just get a long gun?

Lew

• Always Watching
  • Administrator
    • View Profile

It was the jets swap that caused the bike to be parked!
Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation, for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

"In God we Trust.  All others, we watch."

Aussie Bloke!

• Foreign Correspondent
  • Life Member: NRA SSAA
    • View Profile

G'day everyone,...

You got a bargain with that bike.
Seriously.

Aussie.
A free man can walk with a rifle,...                                                                                                        
A Subjugated  man is esscorted by a rifle,...

Which are YOU?

I survived the Tyrany of a Traitor called Jack Boot Johny.

soot shooter

• Sergeant at Arms
  • SGT at Arms
    • View Profile

MC  class it was and annual refreshers in a parking lot after a long northern winter is a good practice session.
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
 RIDING WITH RESPECT

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch

The MC school did not openly come out and invite us to use their freshly paved & painted closed course but they did hint at it really strong.  It isn't behind locked gates... or any gates!  So any time the MC course is vacant I am sure they don't mind MC riders using it to keep tuned up with practice. 

When they were making the hint we could return to practice when nobody was using the course I suggested all we need to do to make the course realistic is to kick sand onto the low speed turn, toss down a quart of oil on the emergency stopping area, shovel some gravel onto the high speed turn, and spill a milk shake in the parking zone so it will be just like a real road course. 

O:-)

Who is Indrid Cold?

soot shooter

• Sergeant at Arms
  • SGT at Arms
    • View Profile

Forget I said anything!  :mad:
But keep in mind practice makes perfect. I am sure you, Aussie, and Lew can ride circles around me. So be it I am never going to be an "EXPERT RIDER". But, my bike full of oil and gas with me aboard geared up is about #1100. A bit more than those you ride.
 I have been driving Tractor- trailers for 36 years. I have had the same tractor for 21 years. All body damage is from inexperienced guys loading her. Or dropping loads on her. or side swiping the barn parking her hours after I went home.
 I get to some locations and know I will have to wait to get unloaded. Flatbeds do not need loading docks. I will practice parrallel parking , button hook turns etc. to keep my skills sharp.
 That is where I am going Col. Always hone your skills. Just like situational awareness, shooting skills, being the Grey man, tracking.
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
 RIDING WITH RESPECT
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 24