Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25

Author Topic: A Barn Find 1980 Honda CX500 Delux is in my workshop... And a GL1100 Goldwing...  (Read 4560 times)

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Nothing may happen here, but it's a fun distraction. 
Seeing the world through a rose colored bombsight.

Who is John Galt?

Can't we all just get a long gun?

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
  • It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch

There is a lot to what Soot just wrote.  I would suggest you want to error on the side of a stiffer suspension than too soft.  The reason is when the suspension bottoms out it will feel like an ejection seat kicking off under your tailbone - like he describes.
Keeping a list, and checking it twice, of those to visit during the 2nd American Revolution.

Who is Indrid Cold?

Lew

• Always Watching
  • Administrator
    • View Profile

The Goldwings have adjustable air suspensions.  The better ones have a built in compressor and switches to adjust it on the fly. 
Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation, for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

"In God we Trust.  All others, we watch."

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

How smooth does the engine run?   How long a ride until your hands get "buzzy"?

Who is John Galt?

Lew

• Always Watching
  • Administrator
    • View Profile

I do not know if it is normal as I have some serious maintenence to do to my bike.  (I have to sync the carbs, adjust the valves, and really my bike needs the gear box gone through, plus I need to replace a warped front rotor.)  As it is right now, I can ride for an hour solid before I want to get off for 2 reasons, my right hand is bothering me, and the inside of my legs hurts as the foam on my seat is wasted and my weight is on the frame of the bike.

I do not have experience with newer goldwings.

I have ridden harleys before and I stopped after a couple miles.  Just bothered my hands too much.
Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation, for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

"In God we Trust.  All others, we watch."

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Sounds good.  About what I expected.  I think you have to work to build an opppsed four cyl that shakes enough to suck.

Who is John Galt?

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch

The boxer four only makes a little vibration when pulling out from a stop - but only if you bog the motor.  You have to work to get it to do this.  I was use to running my flat 6 at a lower RPM and so the first few rides on my present GL I kept bogging the engine and she would protest a little.  But after I figured out she just needs to spin faster when starting out all of that stopped.

The flat six runs like a sewing machine!  That engine never shakes or vibrates even if you stall it.  Get yourself any Goldwing with a flat six and air suspension.  I think the rear suspension on the F6 series has something ridiculous like a full 6"+ of vertical travel.  My old Valkyrie had coil springs but otherwise it was the same rear suspension as the GL and I never bottomed it out by myself and rarely with a passenger. 
Keeping a list, and checking it twice, of those to visit during the 2nd American Revolution.

Who is Indrid Cold?

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

The six sounds amazing.  I'd like to have one of those just to watch it run.   The price jumps up when you get to the six cyl era though. 

With the pending move, needs/wants will surely change.  Its almost a sure thing we will be moving to a town, or right next to it.   I'm thinking that will change any bike riding from nice long leisure rides to quick trips to the walgreens past the next subdivision instead. 

Who is John Galt?

Aussie Bloke!

• Foreign Correspondent
  • Life Member: NRA SSAA
    • View Profile

G'day everyone,....

I need that turbine bike. 

You mean  Y2K ?

Aussie.
A free man can walk with a rifle,...                                                                                                        
A Subjugated  man is esscorted by a rifle,...

Which are YOU?

I survived the Tyrany of a Traitor called Jack Boot Johny.

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Yes

Who is John Galt?

Aussie Bloke!

• Foreign Correspondent
  • Life Member: NRA SSAA
    • View Profile

G'day everyone,....

I can see it now,....

You roll into the servo looking for the Kerro pump,....

:p :p

Aussie.

*  Kerro = kerosene
A free man can walk with a rifle,...                                                                                                        
A Subjugated  man is esscorted by a rifle,...

Which are YOU?

I survived the Tyrany of a Traitor called Jack Boot Johny.

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

I'll slip around back of my favorite restaurants and tap into the old cooking grease disposal.

Who is John Galt?

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch

Ya know, the V-4 in my CTX1300 is smooth - splits the difference between the boxer 4 and F6 engines for smooth.  There are other bikes with the same engine family but I don't know the names.  Shouldn't be hard to find them...

Who is Indrid Cold?

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

That's a pretty motorcycle. 

Who is John Galt?

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

It looks like the lineage goes back to the ST1100 (and no doubt a CBR with the same basic engine), which makes sense.  I've always liked the Kawasaki Concours, which would've been a direct competitor to the ST1100.  No doubt the Honda's V-4 is the smoother engine of the two. 

I liked the way the Sabre's V-4 ran, and I'm sure they've got better since.

EDIT:  There is one ST1100 for sale on (Col)Craig's List sorta in the area...with 169,000 miles.  That's a bit much.  I guess it shows somebody liked it. 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 12:50:00 AM by Barry in IN »

Who is John Galt?

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25