Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Motorcycle Journeys  (Read 171 times)

Lew

• Always Watching
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Motorcycle Journeys
« on: October 21, 2017, 09:13:12 PM »

Today we took another motorcycle ride around Western Maine.  Shocker, I know.

Early on we stopped for a breather at Lake Pennesseewassee for a short break.

We have a unique location in Maine where a single road sign lists town names that are in Maine with distances to those towns.  The town names just so happen to be either countries or cities in other countries.  In middle school, we were all given a photo of this sign and a map of Maine and the assignment was to determine the intersection this sign is placed at.  SO, I will not tell you where it is, but if you are determined, you can figure it out pretty easy.

Because the Nikon remote would not trigger the camera from the distance we were trying to use it, I set the timer and ran for it....but failed....DOH!!!

We then headed north to Evans Notch where two separate major rivers in Maine get their start from the same point and head in two separate directions. The road in is closed for part of the year and is one of the most amazing rides I have ever taken on a bike.  TOTALLY worth doing every year.

It was perfect riding conditions. Today we went 161.4 miles and stopped in front of the "World Traveler Sign".  So today we drove around the world!   :cool:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 09:33:46 PM by Lew »
Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation, for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

"In God we Trust.  All others, we watch."

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
  • It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
Re: Motorcycle Journeys
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 11:28:27 PM »

Lynchville?
Keeping a list, and checking it twice, of those to visit during the 2nd American Revolution.

Who is Indrid Cold?

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 11:29:00 PM »

Evans Notch looks nice, but my favorite is Running Lew.
Seeing the world through a rose colored bombsight.

Who is John Galt?

Can't we all just get a long gun?

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 11:47:50 PM »

Evans Notch looks nice, but my favorite is Running Lew.
In the morning someone will be making a plaster cast of the footprint claiming only Bigfoot could make an impression that deep!   >:D
Keeping a list, and checking it twice, of those to visit during the 2nd American Revolution.

Who is Indrid Cold?

Lew

• Always Watching
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 12:00:42 AM »

Funny you say that, next to the crooked house is a statue of bigfoot....at least I THOUGHT it was a statue.
Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation, for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

"In God we Trust.  All others, we watch."

Kenny Solomon

• Political Analyst
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Israel Survival Updates
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 07:37:23 AM »

Different colors on trees everywhere, there's something resembling hills..... tain't used to seein' that.    :p

"I'm ordering our bombers back to 'fail-safe'.  We might have to go through this thing after all." ..... Gen. Beringer, NORAD, Wargames 1983

soot shooter

• Sergeant at Arms
  • SGT at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 09:49:48 AM »

Leaves starting to turn here. Nice along the rivers. Nice trip, 161+ miles my back hurts just thinking about it. 2 shifted verterbrrae will do that to you.
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
 PGRNY9 RIDING IN MEMORY OF DAD USN AM CHARLES JENKINS
 RIDING WITH RESPECT

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 05:08:06 PM »

Looks like next weekend will be good riding weather for me.   :cool:

Who is Indrid Cold?

soot shooter

• Sergeant at Arms
  • SGT at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 05:37:30 PM »

Go for it. We are getting much needed rain the next 2 days and then Sunday and Monday too.
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
 PGRNY9 RIDING IN MEMORY OF DAD USN AM CHARLES JENKINS
 RIDING WITH RESPECT

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 06:01:25 PM »

That would be the storm that just blew through here getting over to you.  27F this morning and the roads were frosty until noon.  But by the weekend the low temps should be well above freezing with 62F highs.

Who is Indrid Cold?

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 05:58:15 PM »

Well as of right now the Saturday ride has probably been postponed until Sunday.  We have an appointment in the middle of the day Saturday and that won't leave enough time to get in much of a ride before dark when the deer and elk come out to zig-zag across the roads.

On the other hand there might be a motorcycle road trip to AZ in the Spring...

Who is Indrid Cold?

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 07:32:14 PM »

I went for a solo ride today.  Parker is getting over a cold, has no body fat, its getting cold out, etc & etc.  But his problems didn't stop me from getting in another ride while the road conditions will allow it.  The forecast called for a high today of 55F but in reality it only hit 50F and that was in the middle of an asphalt parking lot for a few moments this afternoon.  Most of the places I rode today the temperature didn't get over 45F and at the end of my ride a cool hard breeze come on strong.

My plan was to top off the fuel in town but I found the CTX still had a half tank so I just hit the road north.  I went up HWY 31 from Ione to Metaline, then turned west onto Boundary Rd and went to Boundary Dam.  All I could do there is just turn around because the day use area and camp grounds are undergoing a major renovation and so closed right now.  I went a mile further up Boundary Rd to the Gardner Caves.  This attraction is off season right now and so closed.  But that didn't stop me from peeing behind the sign.

This is the end of the road for me.  The pavement stops right here and I have no desire to ride my CTX on a muddy slick road.  If I were in my Jeep I could follow that road on the left for about 30 miles before it will reach pavement again!

From here I back tracked to HWY 31 then turned north again.  I rode up to the boarder crossing, turned around and pulled off for another little break.

About a mile south of here is a turn off to reach the east side of Boundary Dam and a scenic overlook.  Back in The Day you could drive across the dam but not anymore.  These are facing SW.  If you look across the dam you will see a flat area, this is the day use area and camp ground I turned around at earlier before continuing on to my first stop.

These are facing NW, the boarder with Canada runs across the river less than a mile away.

From here I returned to HWY 31 and went south towards home.  My plan was to get fuel on the way home.  But as I reached the turn off to the north end of my road I seen the low fuel light in the instrument cluster still had not lit up yet.  So instead of getting fuel I just made my turn to go home.  A couple miles from home the low fuel light finally came on.  When I parked my CTX1300 inside my shop she was showing about 255 miles since the last fill-up with an estimated range remaining of nearly 50 miles.  I can't say it too often how happy I am with the fuel economy she gives up!

Who is Indrid Cold?

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 10:10:15 PM »

That is some beautiful country. 

I don't know if I've said this, but that's one pretty motorcycle.

Who is John Galt?

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 11:53:38 PM »

Thanks again.  You can't see in the photos but she is a dirty girl.  I still haven't washed her yet.

Something I was not a great fan of is the mirror position.  I figured this was an example of style over function.  It just doesn't feel right to me.  Today I realized why the mirrors are in the location they are in.  The mirror position deflects the air above and below the hand grips.  It was very cool today and I used the heated grips.  Previously I had only turned the heat setting up to 1 or 2 out of 5 but today I found #3 to be just right.  I was riding along the highway @ 55 MPH thinking about how well the heated grips keep my entire hand warm, I assume through blood circulation.  Then I raised my left hand to scratch an itch.  When my hand came out of the little pocket of still air created by the mirror it was blasted with the icy air I was riding through!  That was my 'ah-ha' moment when I realized why the mirrors are where they are.

Who is Indrid Cold?

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 07:14:53 AM »

Aha for me too then. I keep seeing current motorcycle mirrors that get me wondering.  Many are a lot smaller than yours, which got me started.   I mean, they are tiny.   Then the position is so low.   But now that you say that, some probably do line up with the grips and are shaped for a reason.   

Dirty is good.  Real good. 

Who is John Galt?