Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Your Favorite Old Music Remastered... well... maybe not all of it.  (Read 51 times)

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
  • It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch

I have been looking into replacing my Led Zeppelin collection with the latest digitally remastered versions.  Its a hard sell mostly because I hate to buy the same thing twice.  And I already have the very first digital re-mastering offered as the 'box set' of CD's, so how much better than that can it get?

Here is a little background about how your music is packaged.  The sound of music is often dictated by the technology available at the time of recording.  Anyone remember when the only radio in a car was amplitude modulated (AM)?  All those 1950's and 1960's bands edited the sound of an album for the limitations of radio play over AM radio.  As time went on they would cut special albums exclusively for radio play.  This let the public buy a recording best suited for the record player in their home while the radio got a version that sounds better over AM radio than on your home table top.

When frequency modulation (FM) came along this changed everything.  The rules were now turned on their side.  Not only is the recording edited for good sounding radio play within the limits of FM broadcast, but also for a narrow amplitude range for the kind of music on the album.  Ever wonder why classical music is on the left side of the FM radio slider?  Have you noticed all the rock & roll stations start about 1/3rd from the left and stop about 1/3rd from the right?  Or that other stuff I don't listen to like techno-pop and rap pick up about the center of the dial and spread right past the last rock stations?  And exactly why is talk radio like sports and gospel stuffed over to the far right side of the FM range?  The reason is all of those niche stations are broadcasting on a frequency that is best suited for the kind of sounds they feature on that station. 

Digital blew away all of that!  Now everyone gets the same digital music on their CD.  If the music is being played over an AM radio then the broadcaster will tune the output for the best sound on your AM radio.  FM stations do the same.  The station will listen to their own transmission, a computer will compare what is coming off the CD, what is getting sent to the broadcast antenna and what is coming back on the reception antenna.  Then the computer will attempt to make subtle tweaks to the transmission to get the reception to sound closer to what is on the CD.  If you ever hear a song you know well come on the radio sounding 'off' but by the time the song is over it is right on then you probably heard the result of a computer doing a mad rush to tweak an equalizer to fix the song.  All those tweaks will go into a file attached to the song so that the next time it is played they will start it off with the last settings.

Where I am going with this is if your favorite music was recorded before digital then you might have a pleasant surprise waiting for you.  I plugged in my best set of headphones to the PC, put a Zeppelin CD into the tray, and then pulled up the same songs digitally remastered in 2007 on Amazon.com.  I listened to them side-by-side over and over.  The difference is beyond amazing! 

Today I purchased a remastered Zeppelin collection in a double CD set (Mothership).  But with Amazon I also get a maximum quality MP3 version included for download.  MP3 file format is compressed but at the highest quality it will take someone with better hearing then I to tell the difference between MP3 and a "Lossless" file format.  The disks will be here next week but for now I'm fine with the MP3. 

This is going to get expensive...
Keeping a list, and checking it twice, of those to visit during the 2nd American Revolution.

Who is Indrid Cold?

Kenny Solomon

• Political Analyst
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Your Favorite Old Music Remastered... well... maybe not all of it.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 07:33:51 AM »

Today I purchased a remastered Zeppelin collection in a double CD set (Mothership).  But with Amazon I also get a maximum quality MP3 version included for download...... The disks will be here next week but for now I'm fine with the MP3. 

This is going to get expensive...

I don't like horsing a dead beat, but..... Amazon..... this guy Bezos - Amazon and Washington Post owner - is trying and succeeding in many ways, to corner the retail market.  The man is far less than a capitalist, using the system to take it over.  Dude is more than likely going to run for president in 2020.  His net worth fluctuates daily by a wider dollar spread than President Trump's total net worth.

Work for Amazon ?   Have even the slightest political leaning away from Mr. Hillary-Bernie-Typical-Democrat Anti-Rights Supporter Bezos ?

Well.....

Amazon patents device to track employees.

Every penny you spend through Amazon helps the cause.

I'm avoiding Amazon the same way I'm avoiding the corporate nudgers and entities like the NFL.

Col. Craig, your blimp is here !  :cool:

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 12:50:53 PM »

If I were to shit in the ocean it would make a larger impact on his financial position than if I quit Amazon. 

There is only so much I can do.  When I became aware Costco is the single largest corporate donater to anti-2nd Amendment organizations I quit my 15 year business membership with them.  What did they do?  Now Costco sells rifles and gives the profits to anti-2nd Amendment organizations!  I have to shop at four stores across Spokane to make up for not shopping at Costco...  BTW, Spokane is the home of Costco if you didn't already know.

Where I live every time I leave the house I am looking at making a 100 mile round-trip even if I stay inside my own county. And the State of WA wants to start charging my annual vehicle registration based on annual distance driven!  Think about that.  So I rely on mail order for a very large percentage of the household consumables - about everything except fresh food.  I know the UPS driver so well I expect to attend his retirement party in July.  Believe you me, if there is an alternative to Amazon at close to the same price I will use it. 

But since 1998 I have never been disappointed with how Amazon treats me as a customer.  That is really hard to give up.  If this Bozo needs to be kept in check then lets do it through carefully selecting who we vote for instead of cutting off our own feet and hands.  After all, every nation does at least some trading with their enemies.  So lets take from this a way to use the services of Amazon while keeping the monster in their dungeon well fed and happy without letting it out. 

This fight will require a lot more than a handful of dedicated and informed enthusiasts boycotting the business.
Keeping a list, and checking it twice, of those to visit during the 2nd American Revolution.

Who is Indrid Cold?

Lew

• Always Watching
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 02:27:10 PM »

Keep your friends close but keep your enemies closer.
Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation, for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

"In God we Trust.  All others, we watch."

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 04:29:03 PM »

So, actually there is an alternative to Amazon.com... at least for a lot of the retail merchandise.  No, I am not going to point at Walmart because no matter what they think of themselves they are not a viable on-line alternative to Amazon.com. 

I am talking about AliExpress.com, the retail side of the B2B website, Alibaba.com.  If it ever makes more sense to give my money directly to the commies before Amazon.com then these two are both better than Walmart in my opinion.

On the other hand it looks like Walmart on-line shopping service may have a strong appeal to those who live close by a retail store.   I don't.  So from my perspective both Amazon and Walmart are on-line stores but Walmart has a brick & mortar 'showroom' I can shop in.  As Walmart expands on-line they will begin to encroach upon Amazon.  If Amazon expands into brick & mortar I do not see them taking anything from Walmart as I doubt Walmart will ever have the same class or even come close to it.

In the meantime AliExpress is quickly moving to become the largest global on-line retail store.  They still have a whole lot of room for improvement but it will come in time.  I have an account with both the Alibaba stores - never made a purchase - but I want to stay in the loop so I opened an account and I surf their websites. 

Rather than take down Amazon.com to let Alibaba own the global on-line retail world, I would rather see Amazon.com become the king - but not a dictator - just a king like a figurehead of sorts. 

Who is Indrid Cold?

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 07:06:17 PM »

Maybe this should be broken off into its own Amazon/Bozo thread?

Who is Indrid Cold?