Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Safety Wire Question for an A & P Mechanic (That's You, Barry)  (Read 477 times)

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
  • It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
Re: Safety Wire Question for an A & P Mechanic (That's You, Barry)
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2017, 08:20:32 PM »

Its the only color this company offers them in.  Besides, blood doesn't show up so bad on red tools. 

I think my next motorcycle will have braided stainless steel fuel lines with flare nuts.
Keeping a list, and checking it twice, of those to visit during the 2nd American Revolution.

Who is Indrid Cold?

soot shooter

• Sergeant at Arms
  • SGT at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 04:36:03 PM »

I do not have braided. After market and costly. Rather use the $ for gas in the tank!
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
 PGRNY9 RIDING IN MEMORY OF DAD USN AM CHARLES JENKINS
 RIDING WITH RESPECT

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 04:41:54 PM »

I do not have braided. After market and costly. Rather use the $ for gas in the tank!
I misread your post.  When you wrote 'Stainless' I was thinking 'braided stainless'.  So your HD uses stainless fuel lines - there is no flex or hose?  Cool!
Keeping a list, and checking it twice, of those to visit during the 2nd American Revolution.

Who is Indrid Cold?

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 05:08:21 PM »

A now-deceased drag racing friend would have loved this part of the conversation.   
His lines were whatever he could get his hands on, like copper tubing from the furnace.   The whole car was that way.  It wasn't that he didn't have money to spend; he just wouldn't put a nickel into anything that didn't make the car faster or safer.   

His "triggers" were braided lines and chrome.  If he spotted either anywhere on someone's car, it had better be fast as hell or you'd have to hear him go on for a while. 
Seeing the world through a rose colored bombsight.

Who is John Galt?

Can't we all just get a long gun?

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2017, 06:07:17 PM »

True story Barry:

A guy I worked with takes notice of an upcoming yard sale down the street.  He knows the home owner died a while back and the widow has moved in with one of the children.  So he figures they must be clearing out the estate to make room for a sale or renters.  He gets down there the minute they kick off the yard sale, with his kids wagon in tow.  What does he find?  Yup.  A hog.  In plastic buckets, coffee cans, milk crates, baby food jars and a few baggies.  It has a clear title so he buys it and drags it home in the Radio Flyer wagon - took two trips.

At the time I am riding a 1980 Yamaha 650 Special so he keeps coming to me for advice with his POS.  I think he paid $50 for it.  I keep telling him to sell it to me for $50 so I can stack it up in the corner of the yard to have a place to piss when I'm working outside.  Stubborn SOB just keeps keeping at it and one day he says he has the entire hog completely reassembled... except for the missing parts.  He says he thinks the only thing missing is the brake line, (it only has a rear brake - nothing up front) 'What should I do?' he asks.

'Sell it to me so I will have something to piss on when I am working outside', is what I tell him to do.

Instead he tries to make his own brake lines.  No, not hard lines.  When he is looking at what it will take to buy hard line, tubing benders, flare nuts, a tubing flare tool, line adapters, etc. he starts to get really cheap on himself.  What does he do?  He runs rubber brake hose from the rear brakes all the way up to the master cylinder!  He must have spent nearly $20 on the entire project. 

Next Monday at work I ask him, 'How many blocks did it take to get that pig to stop?'

He looks at me all baffled then asks, 'How did you know?'

I said, 'Because you used way too much hose in the brakes!  You should have done it right and run hard line as far as you can.  Only use hose, and as little as possible, to accommodate suspension travel.'  BTW - it was a hard tail so he could have run a hard line the entire way.  Also, I don't know much about HDs but this one had the rear brake master cylinder in front of the engine - I ain't never seen this layout before.

He nearly shouts, 'Why didn't you tell me before!?'

I holler back laughing, 'Why didn't you call me before buying a hog in buckets and milk crates!?'

Oh, man - that's what four years in the Navy will do to ya...

:cool:

Who is Indrid Cold?

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2017, 08:36:28 PM »

I'm surprised it stoppped at all!

Flexible tubing material carrying pressurized fluid.  Hmmmm.   

Who is John Galt?

soot shooter

• Sergeant at Arms
  • SGT at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2017, 07:01:53 AM »

NO front brake! WTF!
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
 RIDING WITH RESPECT

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2017, 03:29:06 PM »

NO front brake! WTF!
I think it was suppose to be a chopper like you might see in a mid-70's EasyRiders magazine.  It had been taken apart for paint & chrome but never put back together.  My coworker got it at the estate sale for $50 as-is with a clear title.  He spent months going through it - every last single bearing & seal - to check for proper service tolerance before reassembly.  I think the engine needed new pistons, rings, a new sleeve for the cylinder and new bearings but otherwise everything else was as good as it could hope to be for an HD.  It was a very long chopper when assembled.  No front brakes or any provisions for front brakes.  And one disk brake in the rear.  And the rear disk was 'custom' but I don't know what he meant by that as the entire chopper was 'custom'.  But the riding position was really low just about sitting behind the engine with your feet out in front and your hands on the ape hangars above your toes - the rider was folded over at the waist.  The foot pegs were ahead of the engine where the frame turns up, a few inches above the bottom of the frame.  The brake pedal was above the right foot peg coming up from below like the brake pedals on old trucks that come up through the floor.  Now that I think about it I suspect the master cylinder may have been an under-floor style from an old car or truck because it was really big for a motorcycle.  Hell, the brake caliper may have also been off a truck for all I know - it was pretty big also but that may have been how they put disc brakes on a hog back then - just take them off the break-down truck and put them on the chopper! So anyways my coworker realizes what he has and wants to 'finish the project' the prior owner started.  He does a dry fit to see what he has - a custom chopper.  Then he does a final fit before paint & chrome.  This is when he gets cheap and uses flexible automotive brake hose to run 6' from the master to the caliper just for the 'test ride'. 

I do remember one detail I had forgotten until just now.  He had a very hard time figuring out the brake and clutch linkage - it was all custom made so there is no place to look for reference.  He ends up with a load of EasyRiders rags from about the first issue up through when the prior owner of this bike died.  I am sure he got these at the estate sale he got the HD at.  And in one of those he sees a chopper with a nearly identical linkage assembly and this is how he figured out what he has and how it works.  When you step on the brake pedal, the first part of the travel will release the clutch, the remainder of the brake pedal travel now applies the brakes.  To ride the bike you must open the clutch by stepping on the pedal with your right foot, engage 1st gear with your left hand via a shift lever near the fuel tank (your left foot is on the ground), and then open the throttle and release the clutch to roll out.  It had two shifters - one at the left foot and then a hand shifter below the left side of the fuel tank.  Imagine trying to ride that thing.

Who is Indrid Cold?

soot shooter

• Sergeant at Arms
  • SGT at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2017, 05:24:30 PM »

Suicide shifter! And such a rake + apes? Death trap even with front brakes.
Easy Rider back then had some great pics. And cool jokes too!
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
 RIDING WITH RESPECT

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2017, 05:39:21 PM »

My big brother had a stack of EasyRiders stuffed between his mattresses...

Who is Indrid Cold?

Lew

• Always Watching
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2017, 10:13:04 PM »

And half the pages were stuck together!
Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation, for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

"In God we Trust.  All others, we watch."

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2017, 10:26:51 PM »

And half the pages were stuck together!
Nope. But he had some pretty nasty socks! :p

Who is Indrid Cold?

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2017, 10:48:08 PM »

Or you had a bunch of socks with no match you couldn't explain. 

Who is John Galt?

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2017, 02:59:39 AM »

The way I found out about the stash of EasyRiders is my friend was over and we were jumping on the beds - he was jumping on my brother's bed and I on mine.  I look down and see all these EasyRiders rags slipping out onto the floor!  My brother is almost 11 years older than I so that would make him at least 18 at the time.

A few years later I come in for dinner and my brother is charging out the door.  My mom is pissed because he isn't sticking around to eat - more for me - good riddance!  He got an unexpected phone call from his buddy and took off to meet up for a night of near misses. 

After dinner I am told to go get a bath and my pajamas will be hot out of the dryer when I get out of the bathroom.  I get to the bedroom to prepare for my bath and I see the floor at the end of my brother's bed is covered with open EasyRiders magazines - my brother lays on his stomach at the foot of his bed to read magazines on the floor right below which is how they come to be abandoned that way.  I knew my mom was going to be in there soon and I had two options, 1) cover for my brother and hold some blackmail on him, or 2) rat him out.  A moment later I hear my mom coming in leaving no time for option one.  So I stand there looking at the pile of rags as she walks up behind me.  She stops, looking over top of me at the floor and I say, 'I guess he was in a hurry, huh?' 

So what does my mom do?  Yup, she calls in my sister - about eight years older than I so she is about 18 at this time.  My sister gets there and Mom tells her to figure out exactly what that is and report back ASAP.  I get sent off to have my bath.  I finish my bath and get tepid pajamas to wear.  The magazines are all gone and my mom and sister are really quiet - the entire house is quiet - unusual...

My brother drove a 1970-something AMC AMX Javelin that never loses a race and it could be heard approaching from the next zip code.  When we hear his car coming home all of the sudden my mom and sister spring into action.  In the den there is a sort of 'TV & Reading' corner.  For my brother to get to the bedroom he would have to walk past this location behind the easy chairs.  Mom & Sis land in the easy chairs, turn on the bright reading light, kill the TV and pull out my brother's entire stash of EasyRiders to thumb through when he walks past!  I see what is going on and want in too.  So I land on the floor at their feet and my sister tosses me a magazine.  My mom protests but my sister says, 'It ain't like he hasn't seen these before or never will again!' (Good point, Sis!)  EasyRiders magazines were everyplace - I had three open on the floor and Mom & Sis each had a stack in their laps below the open one in their hands.

So the three of us are quietly turning pages as my brother walks by.  He can't help but to take notice the TV is off and the three of us are all quietly getting along together - very unusual indeed.  Then he sees what we are reading... 

>:D

Who is Indrid Cold?

soot shooter

• Sergeant at Arms
  • SGT at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2017, 10:18:21 AM »

Quick correction. There is a short braided section for the rear brake to accomodate the soft tail movement of the rear swing arm.
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
 RIDING WITH RESPECT
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4