Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Mossberg 590 Shockwave - I'm in Lust!  (Read 35 times)

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
  • It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
Mossberg 590 Shockwave - I'm in Lust!
« on: April 20, 2017, 09:32:58 AM »

Mossberg 590 Shockwave

When the price drops a little I'll have to get get me one.
Keeping a list, and checking it twice, of those to visit during the 2nd American Revolution.

Who is Indrid Cold?

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mossberg 590 Shockwave - I'm in Lust!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 10:24:06 AM »

Clint Smith (Thunder Ranch) has some videos out showing how easy it is to handle if you try. 

I was wondering about a 20 gauge.  Specifically, I couldn't remember if Mossberg's 20 is made on the same receiver as the 12, or if it's scaled appropriately.   They used to do that, but that was then.   

The reason I'm asking that is because a friend has a pair of the old Ithaca model 37 Stakeouts, which were similar to this 'Berg (but Class 3).  The Ithacas were sized to the gauge, so with his, the size difference is very noticeable, and the 20 seems much more compact.   It's quite handy, in fact.   

Ordinarily, I'd pick 12 any day, but I'd take his 20 Stakeout over the 12.   It makes that much difference.   

So I'd really like to know if Mossberg had a smaller 20, and if they had any plans of Shockwaving it.
Seeing the world through a rose colored bombsight.

Who is John Galt?

Can't we all just get a long gun?

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 12:31:29 PM »

I have two 590's.  The 590 is a war club compared to the 500.  Everything about it is serious business - it is a very hefty gun - a true 'battle gun'.  The barrel is very thick but especially around the chamber and forward about 6" or so.  I have read of the reduced size 2" OAL hand loads with one ounce of shot loaded to 3" magnum velocities the 590 has no problem with them.  These pressures would detonate almost any other 12 ga shotgun out there.  The 590 eats it.  These loads in the Shockwave look really good in my mind's eye. 

I'd get the pistol grip with the breaching muzzle and all the world's problem will take care of themselves.
Keeping a list, and checking it twice, of those to visit during the 2nd American Revolution.

Who is Indrid Cold?

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 11:02:48 PM »

The day I started this topic I also contacted my FFL to ask if this toy is something I may have here in the State of WA.  It took him a while to get back to me, which is unusual.  He says, "... Bottom line is I think, if you have a traffic stop with one in the car you’re going to spend plenty of time explaining it."  So my reply to him is, "I have cash!"  I thought this would get my phone to ring but so far I haven't heard anything from him.  He must be having trouble locating one.

Meanwhile, my local LEO buddy tells me there is a shop in Spokane with "a bunch of them" in stock.  I check with the shop about three hours later and they are sold out already. 

:bk

Who is Indrid Cold?

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 07:18:00 AM »

When I saw a new post, I thought it would be you posting a picture of yours. 
I was close.
So close.
Seeing the world through a rose colored bombsight.

Who is John Galt?

Can't we all just get a long gun?