Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Car show this weekend  (Read 111 times)

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
  • It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
Car show this weekend
« on: April 07, 2017, 11:43:32 PM »

I took Parker and his friend to a car show in Spokane this afternoon.  I didn't know exactly what to expect as the entire event is held indoors.  I figured there would be a lot of vendors and a few custom cars sprinkled around.  It turned out to be the opposite. 

Entry fee is $12/head which keeps out the riff-raff.  Inside I was totally blown away by the level of cars on display!  I can not even explain how finished these works of art appear.  For example, if you know anything about custom cars then you are aware of an annual award for America's Most Beautiful Roadster.  There is only one award per year and in some years the award was withheld due to a lack of qualified contestants.  It is a very rare award.  Well this afternoon I seen multiple winners of the AMBR award at the show.  If you have been to a world class museum and seen historic works of art that blow you away then you can appreciate the level of detail that goes into these roadsters.  Normally I am a snob who does not care much for a 'show car you can not drive'.  But for AMBR I will make an exception because the level of quality and detail is genuinely on par with world class works of art.  It is common for the winner of AMBR to consume the time of a small team for two - four years in its creation.  Now I can see how.  If you ever get the opportunity to see a winner of AMBR I urge you to take it.  The boys were blown away also.  I think the first comment was to not even bother taking a photo because it would only tarnish our memory.  That sums it up and we never reached for our phone/cameras during our visit.

And to keep things real there was a large selection of 'local' show cars that are driven on a regular basis.  This was humbling too see.  Most of the local racing organizations were present also.  They would have one example vehicle, like a dragster, funny car, pro-mod, pro-street, with a poster about the rules and expenses typical of getting into the game.  Boats also - American Sprint Boat Racing is HUGE in this part of the country.  There were even go karts and some track cars too.

And finally there were some vehicles there just to make me feel old.  Like a 1981 Chevy C-10 short box pickup on display in the 'classics' section...

sigh

:p
Keeping a list, and checking it twice, of those to visit during the 2nd American Revolution.

Who is Indrid Cold?

soot shooter

• Sergeant at Arms
  • SGT at Arms
    • View Profile
Re: Car show this weekend
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 08:07:51 AM »

I had an '83 short bed Chevy. Burgandy and tan with a tan cap but K-10 4x4. I don't see the sense in buying a 2 wd truck.
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
 PGRNY9 RIDING IN MEMORY OF DAD USN AM CHARLES JENKINS
 RIDING WITH RESPECT

Aussie Bloke!

• Foreign Correspondent
  • Life Member: NRA SSAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 09:52:33 AM »

G'day everyone,.....

:pics:

Aussie.
A free man can walk with a rifle,...                                                                                                        
A Subjugated  man is esscorted by a rifle,...

Which are YOU?

I survived the Tyrany of a Traitor called Jack Boot Johny.

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 11:29:05 AM »

I'm with you, those indoor shows like World of Wheels does nothing for me.   Many of those cars don't even have internals in the engines.  Or have mockup engines.

I do like the Good Guys hot rod shows held in the summer.   I didn't used to care for rods at all because if I ever saw them out of a guy's garage it was to park at some old drive-in for two hours once a month in the summer or maybe, just maybe, drive around at 20 mph for a few minutes once per each of those nights.
Then I started paying attention to the work. 
And I got dragged to a Good Guys show at Raceway Park drag strip.  These cars actually get driven, and they have races during the event. 

As I said, like you, what got my attention was the level of detail, and the ingenuity.  Knowing one of the guys (not that well) from work who used to do that, I heard enough about hand polishing each bolt, nut, and screw to know the work and attention to detail they put in.   The garage engineering is what I finally figured out was so interesting.   Deleting all exterior handles like for doors and trunks is a common thing I knew about, but seeing the hundreds of ways those guys come up with to do it is what I think is cool.   This is stuff you don't get by just walking by.  You often have to start a conversation, and then you learn all kinds of things.  Those guys are the type to be handed a mystery chunk of metal with three moving parts that may have come from a 1940 Maytag, and they will immediately think of 14 places they can use it on a car AND make it look like it belong there.
Seeing the world through a rose colored bombsight.

Who is John Galt?

Can't we all just get a long gun?

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
  • It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 01:38:15 PM »

I don't see the sense in buying a 2 wd truck.

Two wheel drive short box pickup is very practical.  With enough horsepower and rear tires you do a thunder run all the way down the block and the tire smoke will clear out the mosquitoes in a jiffy.

:cool:
Keeping a list, and checking it twice, of those to visit during the 2nd American Revolution.

Who is Indrid Cold?

soot shooter

• Sergeant at Arms
  • SGT at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 04:07:09 PM »

Too Lori and I 2x4 is like foreplay without the orgasm. Ok But just not the result we want.
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
 RIDING WITH RESPECT

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 05:01:45 PM »

Soot, what are you and Lori doing in The Boy's truck?   
Seeing the world through a rose colored bombsight.

Who is John Galt?

Can't we all just get a long gun?

soot shooter

• Sergeant at Arms
  • SGT at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 09:37:37 AM »

Only in a Chevy / GMC Barry we got standards.  >:D  :p
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
 RIDING WITH RESPECT