Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Blackened wild sockeye salmon with scallops and shrimp in a lemon-butter sauce.  (Read 81 times)

Kenny Solomon

• Political Analyst
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Israel Survival Updates

This salmon is kinda sorta maybe way 'up there' on my killa-dilla-whatathrilla list of all things comestible.

If a brand name is listed, it's because that's what I normally use.*   Y'all go ahead and use what you're accustomed to havin'.  Remember, unless you're baking most cakes and pastries, a recipe is a guide, not a 'must-do' deal.  Quantities are pretty much not gonna be on this one.  Just go with it and enjoy.

Salmon - wild sockeye.  In-season and fresh, oh hell yeah.  But there's always the freezer section of a market you trust.  Fully trimmed-out fillets about 6oz. each should do quite the nicelyest for this run.  Pacific Northwest - American - is the preferred, of course, but you might want to start bringing a Geiger Counter with you to the market if the catch is from Alaska or close to the coastline of Oregon, Washington and Canada.  That whole Fukushima thing.

Scallops.   Bay scallops, the lil' ones.  A small-to-medium handful.  It's part of the sauce, not the main item.  Your 'normal buy' at a trusted market is perfect.  Be aware of the sourcing though.  There's a whole load of sea critters of all types being sold here coming from China, Vietnam and other places that aren't..... well..... you know.

Shrimp.  Key West pink shrimp.  You know I live in South Florida.  These shrimp are 'normal' down here.  Where you are, probably not so much.  Expect to pay mucho dinero per pound.  The good news is you don't need many and you want the smaller size anyway - 26-31 shrimp per pound.   Figure on 5 or 6 per fillet.  It's part of the sauce, not the main item.  Your 'normal buy' at a trusted market is perfect.  Be aware of the sourcing though.  There's a whole load of sea critters of all types being sold here coming from China, Vietnam and other places that aren't..... well..... you know.

Shallots.  Julienned (long, very thin strips).  Try and get larger shallots.  They're much more flavorful than smaller ones.  I tend to go with about half a large shallot per fillet.  If you don't know what a shallot is, it's kinda sorta maybe like a cross between good garlic and a good sweet onion.

Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning.  This stuff is a heavy-hitter.  Ultra-Saul-Tee.  Got a small kick too - not full-on-ghost-pepper-hot, but you'll know it's there.  You'll figure out when enough's enough.  Ain't gonna be much at all though.

Avocado oil.   Get the type made from Haas avocado's only.  Good luck finding a brand from exclusively U.S. avocados that doesn't cost a ton.  Almost all avocado oil sold here comes from the other side of the about-to-be-built wall.

Compound butter.  This is where you get creative.  A compund butter is - starting with the best butter you can find - made by combining butter with at least one other 'something' to kick-start some deep flavors.  My compund butters usually have a total of four items (max):  1. Kerrygold Irish Butter (unsalted) is the only butter I've been using at home since it started getting imported a bunch of years ago.  2. Roasted garlic smashed up some or very finely minced sauteed shallots (not both).  3.  Some kind of herb, depending on what you're doing with the batch you're making.  and 4.  A very good grating cheese (a hard-type cheese), like Parmigiano Reggiano, Locatelli Romano, etc.

The compound butter I make for this salmon recipe is as follows:  Kerrygold Irish Butter (unsalted).   Roasted garlic (Sealed oven-prrof container at 300F/150C in high-end extra virgin olive oil).   Fresh sage leaves pan-fried in a neutral pure oil like grapeseed.**   And..... Kerrygold Dubliner cheese.  Leave the butter on your countertop to get soft - no, it's not gonna go bad.  Mix in your stuff, put it in a container that seals very well and refrigerate until needed.   It'll last about two weeks if stored and chilled properly.

Lemon - Fresh.  Juice of a large one, or two smalls - and the zest.  Dontcha dare use that reconstipated stuff in the bottle, or worse, in that lemon-shaped plastic thing.  Fresh lemon juice only and..... this really brings out a whole new level of git-r-done, the 'zest' from the lemon.  'Zest', if you don't kn.... No !  Not the soap ya maniac !  'Zest' is the outer-most layer of a lemon's skin (limes, oranges, etc, as well).  On a lemon, that means the yellow part, not the white stuff half a milimeter under the yellow - 'pith' is what that white stuff's called, because it tastes like pissth.  To get the zest properly, you need a Microplane grater.  Get the brand name item.  It's made in Teh Choo Ess Aay, maing.  'Murican steel too.

Arrowroot. Dissolved a little bit in a small amount of water or light stock (chicken, shrimp, etc.).  Arrowroot is a thickner like corn starch, but unlike corn starch, arrowroot doesn't affect the color of your sauces.  You don't need much.  One tablespoon of arrowroot dissolved in a little bit of liquid will thicken a bit over one cup of sauce in your pan.

If the salmon is frozen, thaw it completely, then make sure the surface on both sides is dry to the touch - yes, paper towels are your friend.  Water on the salmon will eff it up in the pan.  Brush both sides with a little oil and  L I G H T L Y  season with Tony's miracle mix.  Pan-fry in avocado oil until done to your liking.  Take it out of the pan with an open-slotted spatula, hold it a bit to let it drain and then put on a wire rack over a 'something' to catch the two or three drops of oil that may still be left on the salmon and and drip off.

Same thing goes for the scallops and shrimp.  Use the same pan.  Take 'em out when almost fully done - at that point, you're golden.  You'll finish cookin' 'em off in the sauce.

Shallot time.  Same pan, no extra seasoning.  You may or may not need/want to pop in a touch more avocado oil.  They'll take no time at all to sautee and get caramelized - that means browned.  In goes the lemon juice and zest, let it heat through, then in goes a little arrowroot slurry.  Don't flip out if you use a bit too much.  You can always thin out the sauce with a little water, wine, or stock.   And I shouldn't have to say this, but..... If you ain't gonna drink the wine, why on God's Green Earth would you cook with it ?   "Cooking Wine" is nothing more than below-the-bottom-of-the-barrel junk-tank wine with salt added.  Really.

As soon as the sauce gets to where you want it, drop the scallop-shrimp mix back in the pan and finishing off cooking it.

Plate up.  Make it look good.  Serve with whatever you want.  Below is a photo of my dinner tonig..... Oh my God !  I took a pic of my dinner and posted it !  What have I become !?!   :p

A bit of a nutritional note:   Yes, that's raw fresh broccoli.  I'm a huge fan of fresh raw broccoli (cooking broccoli kills half the nutrients) and topping it with non-standard marinades/dressings.  That Marie's Greek Vinagrette is seriously good.  And if you're counting carbs, what you see on the plate has in total less than 10 grams of carbs and those carbs are all naturally occuring in the ingredients, not processed (no flour, sugar, etc.).

In the big cup:  Fresh-brewed iced tea (unsweetened), 50/50 with a 'super-berry' 100% juice mix (Acai, Pomegranate and Blackberry).

*   The American Survival Guide does not accept, nor will accept advertising for any reason and there is zero remuneration or compensation of any kind if a company and/or product(s) are mentioned in any post at our site.

**   Tricky process, but worth it every time you get it right.  The only hints I can give you:  1.  You don't need a lot of oil.  In pan-frying leaf herbs, when the bubbling basically stops, it's done.  Then count to three and take it out.   With large-leaf herbs (like sage), yes, I do it one leaf at a time.  P.I.T.A., but when you screw up, you'll understand.  For sage, when you crumble the fried leaves, take the stems out.

I've made a roasted garlic and basil sauce for wings   The basil - a huge two-hands-full bundle - gets deep fried.  Stand back on that one.  Sounds like a full platoon of low-caliber on full-auto.

Edit:  Eye kant spel woidz ryte.   :p    Thanks Karla. :f
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 03:43:46 AM by Kenny Solomon »
"I'm ordering our bombers back to 'fail-safe'.  We might have to go through this thing after all." ..... Gen. Beringer, NORAD, Wargames 1983

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
  • It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch

Makes my dinner look like glop!   :p

The Boss made curry with pork chops. 

If you ever try to make anything traditionally Korean for dinner all you have to remember are these three simple rules.

1)  If it has a flavor then it isn't hot enough.  There should never be any flavor - only pain.

2)  Utensils (fork, spoon, chopsticks) are never on the side.  These are laid across the food getting sauce, etc. all the way up the handle.  BTW - a knife is never served and everything cut to "bit sized" will be about the size of a jawbreaker/gobstopper.

3)  Expect everything that holds a food or beverage to have contents on the outside of the vessel.  This will be certain if you attempt to pick up or re-position a bowl or plate that you will get the contents on your hands.  There will never be enough napkins.

Keeping a list, and checking it twice, of those to visit during the 2nd American Revolution.

Who is Indrid Cold?

soot shooter

• Sergeant at Arms
  • SGT at Arms
    • View Profile

Kenny spent our whole weekly grocery bill on 1 meal!
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
 PGRNY9 RIDING IN MEMORY OF DAD USN AM CHARLES JENKINS
 RIDING WITH RESPECT