Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Remington Outdoor Co. - 120 Employees Laid Off.  (Read 183 times)

Kenny Solomon

• Political Analyst
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Israel Survival Updates
Remington Outdoor Co. - 120 Employees Laid Off.
« on: March 14, 2017, 12:56:59 PM »

Ilion, NY - The Wall Street Journal via ZeroHedge - 13 March 2017  ---  Remington Outdoor Co. has laid off more than 120 workers at an upstate New York factory in response to falling demand for firearms, dealing a blow to an upstate village of 8,000.

Since Donald Trump’s presidential victory eased concerns about stiffer gun laws, the small-arms industry has seen a drop in sales.  As a result, orders for Remington handguns have slowed, a company spokeswoman said Monday.  That is “a dynamic from which Remington is not immune”, she said of the industry challenges.

The March 8 layoffs are a hard hit for Ilion, N.Y., where Remington has operated a plant since the 19th century, according to Terry Leonard, mayor of the village located about 60 miles east of Syracuse.  “Should they ever just close down totally, it would be a total catastrophe for the entire area here.”

Oye Señor May-Yor, choo no batts gunna happens dere suun ?  Dat maing Cuomo 'n dat basta DiBlasio, deyz gunna moof 'n ee-limm-enn-ate dat sekkunt 'ment-ment ting inna da hole stayt - buts ohnlee fo' da goot fowks.  Cuomo 'n dat basta DiBlazio, deyz gunna keeps dey gunz, choo bettah bee-leef dat.   Den badda choo gunna do, maing ?   Dat kumpanee gotsa gets outta dat eeeeephil stayt, maing.

"I'm ordering our bombers back to 'fail-safe'.  We might have to go through this thing after all." ..... Gen. Beringer, NORAD, Wargames ©1983

soot shooter

• Sergeant at Arms
  • SGT at Arms
    • View Profile
Re: Remington Outdoor Co. - 120 Employees Laid Off.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 01:07:57 PM »

Don't worry Cuomo has promised to take up the Hil bam bam threat to our rights. He is gearing up for 2020 presidential election.
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
 PGRNY9 RIDING IN MEMORY OF DAD USN AM CHARLES JENKINS
 RIDING WITH RESPECT

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 12:34:16 PM »

Friday, Remington let 34 upper level employees go.

Hopefully they got the ones who choose to introduce 50 new model variations each year instead of making 10 models well.    But I doubt it. 
Seeing the world through a rose colored bombsight.

Who is John Galt?

Can't we all just get a long gun?

soot shooter

• Sergeant at Arms
  • SGT at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 03:05:13 PM »

Probably the ones making New York wages.
 Hell if my company cut 34 Mgmt jobs the savings would be millions a year. And work flow would hardly increase for any one. But they wont dump family, friends and friends kids from do nothing jobs.
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
 RIDING WITH RESPECT

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 01:37:58 PM »

On April 13, 2017, Remington pulled out of all sponsorship and support of anything connected to Highpower competition. 
A clarification followed, saying they were doing the same in all areas of competition. 

Their Highpower support was probably small compared to 3-gun or shotgun, but it wasn't chicken feed.   They had two sponsored teams that I know of, sponsored two regional matches, and helped with some of the instructional classes during the National Matches. 

Who is John Galt?

soot shooter

• Sergeant at Arms
  • SGT at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 04:36:04 PM »

Between lawyering up to defend themselves from any and all Cuomo attacks and moving operations out of N.Y. Yeah $ is tight there.
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
 RIDING WITH RESPECT

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 09:46:11 AM »

I know you guys have probably been sick of me talking about Jeff Cooper for a while, but I got an email from Remington that made me think of nothing else. 

In 1940, when war in Europe was imminent and Jeff Cooper was headed for the Marine Corps, he and his father went on a hunt in the Yukon.   One last big father and son adventure before the world changed.  He shot game up to and including Bighorn Sheep.
Until the day he died he would reference that trip, not to reminisce about the old days, but as a way to compare current shooting gear.   He felt that in the nearly 70 years he lived after that, advancements in the rifle, cartridge, and scope were so slight as to hardly matter. 

I've thought about that observation quite a bit over the years.  Of common off the shelf rifles and gear available now, I agree.   Nothing in his hunt would've gone better with something new. 

He used Remington Model 30, in .30-06, and a 2.5X scope.  I forget what binoculars he had. 

The Remington 30 may not be the prettiest rifle ever made, but it is one of the strongest bolt actions.   It's basically a commercial version of the US M1917/British P-14, which Remington made during WWI.     
His scope was, I think, a Noske.   Very simple and very rugged.   Same with the mount.
The .30-06 cartridge needs no commentary from the likes of me. 

I will often look at some new "ultimate ________ (sheep, elk, whatever) rig" and ask what it will do that Cooper's rifle could not.   Or something similar like a 1903 Springfield with a good 4X scope. 
It may reach farther than his .30-06, but I think if you are shooting at game beyond a .30-06, you are shooting too far anyway. 
You may have a closer look with the scope, but again, how much is enough?   And use binoculars. 

So back to the email from Remington. 
Here is Remington, who was already struggling before gun sales dropped off post-election.  What is the main subject of their email?    A sale?  A rebate?  A big jump in customer satisfaction?   Nope.

Building the ultimate sheep rifle in the Custom Shop. 

Really?  This is who they're after?  The 30 or so people who order rifles from the Custom Shop won't help them much.   They need to be telling us how they've corrected their mistakes and aren't hacking together K-Mart guns anymore.  They need to be telling us how they've stopped spreading that to Marlin, and Bushmaster, and ParaOrdnance, and NEF. 

And how is their super custom sheep rifle any better than Jeff Cooper's rifle that was designed over 100 years ago?  I can buy an old Model 30 off GunBroker for less, and have more confidence in it. 
More pride, too. 

They are clueless.   Still.   

Who is John Galt?

soot shooter

• Sergeant at Arms
  • SGT at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 05:18:30 PM »

Y'all know from my gun shop days how I feel about big green.
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
 RIDING WITH RESPECT

LadyImpactOhio

• View Profile
    • http://www.ladyimpactohio.com
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 06:14:10 PM »

I missed this post. Really ironic the super Gun Salesman of the Year for the last 8 years got people laid off.

And I really hope Cuomo and  Fauxcahontas run. And Pelosi and Mad Max stay where they are. The 4 of them can all fit in the Clown Car.
We the People are supposed to tell government what to do. Since Jan 20, 2017 it's been happening.

soot shooter

• Sergeant at Arms
  • SGT at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 04:58:04 PM »

Being married to a part Lakota woman Elizibeth Warren really ticks me off more than most Libtards.
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
 RIDING WITH RESPECT