Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Double Standards  (Read 411 times)

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
  • It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
Double Standards
« on: February 03, 2017, 02:05:38 AM »

Some of you may recall me pissing on about entering a local photography contest years ago.  If not, here is a summary...

*A local "Artist's" organization decides to hold a "Photography" contest.

*They take out an ad in the paper stating the contest is 'Open to all... just pay the entry fee'.

*The contest has a "Theme" in which the subject, mood, feeling, etc. of the image must represent a "Local" location.

The Boss pushes me really hard to enter this contest.  I have been an avid amateur photographer since I was eight years old.  I minored in photography in college as well.  I tried to make a go at being a "Professional" photographer specializing in Real Estate in the local market.  But I got my teeth kicked in for my efforts!  It turns out that at the level of R.E. our local markets are at none of the brokers want good quality images - they wants blurry thumbnail images to get viewers curious enough to make an inquiry!  Who knew?  I was beaten and needed an emotional boost.  So I enter the contest.  I select two of my favorite photos from our area.  I do just a little bit of post processing tweaking on them in the computer.  Then I have both photos printed on canvas and framed.  With the shipping I am about $240 deep up to this point.  I think the contest put me another $40 in by the time the two images were hanging in the gallery.  Below are the 'raw' images before tweaking in post processing.  They turned out so well there is very little to do in post.

So, anyways, the contest is "Judged" and I didn't get one fooking acknowledgement - nothing - nada!  For real - there were maybe 5% of the submitted photos did not get any recognition.  Every photo except for mine that did not get recognition of some form were from 'photographers' who's OTHER photo(s) DID get recognition (a ribbon, etc.)  So I was literally the ONLY photographer in the contest who did NOT take home an 'atta-boy' at the very least!  The "Gallery" was 'borrowed' space from a local business.  When I went to pick up my photos I was one of the very last that evening to do so.  The owner of the business says to me he feels ashamed I did not win any recognition.  He goes on that everyone knew my two photos were the best in the building but the judges were handing out prizes to the people they know "Who worked so hard on their photos" that they deserved recognition.

Today each one of those two photos is hanging proudly in multi-million dollar homes owned by real artists.  No kidding - but that is another story.

I put away my camera and didn't take it out for over two years...  In fact I hardly even touch my camera nowadays.  (I do NOT consider my phone to be a "Camera".)  All my photography equipment is Nikon and I am about $6,000 deep at this point.  That is $6k in old money - not the toilet paper they are printing today.

So I get a phone call early this week.  I have been so mad since then I can hardly even speak or write about it.  Guess who calls me?  After all of these years since the photo contest I get a call from one of the organizers.  He has retired from his regular job and is setting up a little art gallery to feature local artists.  He goes on that I am by far the best photographer he has ever seen in this area and he wants to know if I would be willing to submit my work to his gallery for sale.  I point out that he has only seen two of my photos many years ago and ask how he thinks these make me the best photographer in the area?  He goes on to explain how everyone quietly talked about my photos at every photo contest since the one I submitted mine in and then he says he knows of the work I did to try to get into R.E. photography and how it was too good to be used by the brokerages!

I hung up the phone.  Phuk me runn'n.   :bk
Keeping a list, and checking it twice, of those to visit during the 2nd American Revolution.

Who is Indrid Cold?

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Double Standards
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 07:00:22 AM »

I'm mad reading about it.   The jerk probably planned to claim your photos as his too.
Seeing the world through a rose colored bombsight.

Who is John Galt?

Can't we all just get a long gun?

Kenny Solomon

• Political Analyst
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Israel Survival Updates
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 08:19:59 AM »

Da noiv o' da bum !

Go to his gallery.

Take a photo of two or three of the photos hanging.

Submit 'em.

Sit back and watch the fun.

Thing is, the miserable pr*ck probably won't "get it".

"I'm ordering our bombers back to 'fail-safe'.  We might have to go through this thing after all." ..... Gen. Beringer, NORAD, Wargames 1983

soot shooter

• Sergeant at Arms
  • SGT at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 03:59:29 PM »

Fudge him!
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
 PGRNY9 RIDING IN MEMORY OF DAD USN AM CHARLES JENKINS
 RIDING WITH RESPECT

Lew

• Always Watching
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 04:49:16 PM »

I think am misunderstanding happened.

If I am right there is no theft of photos, just the late admission of being screwed at the contest.

I am of an opposite thought, the Col. Should put on his best poker face, say the line dropped and submit lots of photos for sale and take this chumps money.
Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation, for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

"In God we Trust.  All others, we watch."

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 06:33:22 PM »

That's a good plan, too.

Maybe find who his biggest competitor will be once he's open, and hopefully it's someone out of that "artist circle" then sell them through that store.   I mean, since they weren't good enough for that group and all...
Seeing the world through a rose colored bombsight.

Who is John Galt?

Can't we all just get a long gun?

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
  • It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 06:54:41 PM »

Yea I didn't punctuate the point very well in my rant. 

This guy helped out often with the 'artist guild' that held the photography contest - but he did not "Judge" the contest.  Now that he has hung his shingle in my part of the county he is fishing for local artists to stock his gallery.  Obviously nobody else from that long-ago contest is worth calling!  But the one he does ring up is the only sonofabitch to enter but go home without anything for the trouble.  Then he admits my photos are 'too good' to be judged with all of the other  :poop and so the judges gave out 'tried the hardest' prizes instead of an honest recognition of good photography attributes.
Keeping a list, and checking it twice, of those to visit during the 2nd American Revolution.

Who is Indrid Cold?

soot shooter

• Sergeant at Arms
  • SGT at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 08:05:01 AM »

Well ask to set up a bicycle parts vending machine in the lobby and maybe a compromise could be worked out.  :cool:
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
 PGRNY9 RIDING IN MEMORY OF DAD USN AM CHARLES JENKINS
 RIDING WITH RESPECT