Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Many 1st-Person-Shooter Video Games - Tactics and the Female Voice In Your Ear  (Read 490 times)

Col. Craig

• Master of My Own Mind
  • Administrator
  • It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide
    • View Profile
    • Hardway Ranch

As an adult I have only played a few video games.  Video games are what got me to switch from the Apple Mac platform to the IBM PC platform.  After playing a couple of the first PC video games I went on a dry spell for about ten years.  When The Boy got an XBOX360 I picked up a couple more games which I have been content with for about six or seven years now.  When I can't go shooting outside I turn on the game console and go shooting on the TV.  That is my release.

The Boy has an entire shelf full of games for the XBOX and many are of a 'military combat' style first person shooter.  Almost all of these have a few common denominators to a flaw.  Two of these stand out to me and I want to know if I am alone or is there something bigger at work here?

1)  Combat/shooting tactics that work the best to advance the game play do not work in the real world.  It is as if the very point of the game is to get the players conditioned to sacrifice themselves should they ever take up arms without the benefit of training.

2)  Many of these games have highly developed character interactions.  The player will go through an evolution of bonding with their 'team'.  They will experience various emotions, good and bad, with every character on their patrol.  These will include both positive and negative attributes.  There will be trust & suspicion, praise and criticism, conflict and agreement, etc.  The one exception to this is the god-like female voice in the player's ear.  This god-like female character is ever present and watching from afar, giving unquestioned orders which the player must obey or else the game will not advance.  The god-like female voice is never doubted, questioned, or otherwise allowed to be viewed in any negative way.

The 'machine' in general is why I have a lot of trouble with #1 above.

Nancy Pelosi and Hillary Clinton are two reasons why I have a whole lot of trouble with #2 above. 

Am I reading too deep or do others see this pattern of conditioning also?

(Gotta go to work - this is getting posted without an edit)
Keeping a list, and checking it twice, of those to visit during the 2nd American Revolution.

Who is Indrid Cold?

Barry in IN

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

I bought one a long time ago.  Can't recall the name or series or anything.  All I remember is it was a WWII setting, and had an R. Lee Ermey-type drill sergeant you had to please before you could do anything. 

Interesting observations.  Surely all coincidental.  Surely. 
Seeing the world through a rose colored bombsight.

Who is John Galt?

Can't we all just get a long gun?

soot shooter

• Sergeant at Arms
  • SGT at Arms
    • View Profile

I was  a MOH fan until they got modern [ not WWII] and lost interest.
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
 PGRNY9 RIDING IN MEMORY OF DAD USN AM CHARLES JENKINS
 RIDING WITH RESPECT

Kenny Solomon

• Political Analyst
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Israel Survival Updates

Just wait until the nudge brigade starts dropping common core idelas and 'smart' guns, plus microstamped ammo into the video game scenarios.

"I'm ordering our bombers back to 'fail-safe'.  We might have to go through this thing after all." ..... Gen. Beringer, NORAD, Wargames 1983